PM arrives in Muscat on three-day Gulf visit (Lead)November 8th, 2008 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Muscat, Nov 8 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived here Saturday afternoon starting a bilateral ties bolstering three-day tour of the Gulf nations of Oman and Qatar.The prime minister, who is leading a high-level delegation, was received at the Royal Airport here by Oman’s Deputy Prime Minister Sayyid Fahd Bin Mahmoud Al Said and was presented with a guard of honour.
Among those accompanying the prime minister are Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi and Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed. Petroleum Minister Murli Deora will join the Indian delegation in Qatar Sunday.
National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan and Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia are also part of the delegation.
Delegation level talks will be held between Singh and Sayyid Fahd later in the evening.
This will be followed by the signing of three agreements between India and Oman - one on setting up an India-Oman Joint Investment Fund, another on manpower development and a third between the foreign service training institutes of the two countries.
On Sunday, Singh will meet members of the Indian business community and then attend a reception for representatives of the 500,000-strong Indian community in Oman.
The prime minister will hold talks with Oman’s ruler Sultan Qaboos Bin Said Al Said prior to departing for Qatar in the afternoon on the second and last leg of his Gulf tour.
This is the first visit by an Indian prime minister to Oman in 10 years after Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s visit in 1998.
- PM arrives in Muscat on three-day visit to Gulf - Nov 08, 2008
- Antony meets Indian diaspora in Omam - May 18, 2010
- Oman to allow temple, gurdwara - Nov 24, 2010
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Qatar - Nov 09, 2008
- India, Oman to boost trade, check human trafficking (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2008
- Antony to visit Oman to boost defence cooperation - May 14, 2010
- GCC leaders thank UAE for hosting summit - Dec 08, 2010
- India, Oman to turn ties into mighty strategic partnership: PM - Nov 09, 2008
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Muscat - Nov 08, 2008
- Antony to visit Oman next week - May 14, 2010
- India, Oman armies to hold joint military exercise in 2011 - May 18, 2010
- Oman Oil to invest $3 bn in Indian fertilizer plants - Sep 06, 2010
- India, Oman discuss maritime security, terrorism - May 18, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth to visit Oman - Nov 22, 2010
- Antony visits Oman to boost security ties - May 17, 2010