PM announces Rs.2 lakh for Assam boat accident victimsMay 1st, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday announced compensation of Rs.200,000 each for the next of kin of deceased in the Assam boat accident that has left nearly 70 people dead and 150 missing.
“The prime minister announces an ex-gratia relief of Rs.2 lakh to the next of kin of each deceased in yesterday’s (Monday) unfortunate boat tragedy Assam,” the Prime Minister’s Office tweeted.
Rescue operations continued in the Brahmaputra in Assam Tuesday, a day after a ferry capsized in the river killing nearly 70 people, but with at least 150 still missing.
Manmohan Singh, a Rajya Sabha MP from the state, Monday expressed shock about the loss of lives in the boat tragedy and conveyed his deepest condolences to the near and dear ones of those who lost their lives, said an official release.
He has also instructed officials for all possible assistance to the state government in relief operations and also for assistance from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund to families of the deceased.
- 150 missing, toll could rise in Assam boat accident - May 01, 2012
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- 68 die, over 150 still missing in Assam boat tragedy (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Assam boat tragedy victims' kin to get Rs.1.5 lakh each - May 01, 2012
- Assam ferry tragedy: 270 still missing, rescue operations on (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- PM expresses grief over Assam ferry tragedy - Apr 30, 2012
- PM condoles Sivakasi fire victims - Sep 05, 2012
- PM announces Rs.300 crore relief for Assam victims - Jul 28, 2012
- PM grieves loss of lives in train accident - May 28, 2010
- PM announces Rs.500 crore for flood-hit Assam (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Assam's flood, landslide toll rises to 124 - Jul 08, 2012
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Assam seeks Rs.365 crore to upgrade water transport - May 06, 2012
- PM announces Rs.1 lakh for kin of Leh cloudburst victims - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: accident victims, assam, boat accident, brahmaputra, deepest condolences, lakh, manmohan, manmohan singh, mp, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, relief operations, rescue operations, rs 2, rs 200, shock, state government, tragedy, unfortunate boat