Plot to kill Sikh Dera chief foiled: policeNovember 9th, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
!– No Image –Chandigarh, Nov 9 (IANS) The police Sunday claimed to have foiled a plan to kill Gurmeet Ram Rahim, head of a Sikh sect, after seizing arms, drugs and counterfeit currency reportedly smuggled from Pakistan to a Punjab village. The consignment was seized in Ferozepur district, around 250 km from here.
“This was smuggled into India through Hussainiwala, a border village in Ferozepur, from Pakistan by the Khalistan Commando Force (KCF). They were planning to assassinate Gurmeet Ram Rahim of Dera Sacha Sauda,” Director General of Police N.P.S. Aulakh said.
Police have recovered five AK-56 rifles, 28 magazines, 890 cartridges, 10 China made .30 bore pistols, 21 packets of heroin and counterfeit currency worth more than Rs.2 million, Aulakh said.
The recovery follows the interrogation of suspected terrorists Gurcharan Singh of Amritsar and Sukhwinder Singh and Kuldip Singh, both of Ferozepur district. They were arrested Thursday.
“After questioning them and on their tip off the police raided their hideouts and made the recovery Friday and Saturday,” said Aulakh.
He said the arrested men told the police that Ranjit Singh Nita, the chief of the KCF from Pakistan, sent the consignment Oct 31.
Aulakh said there were certain loopholes in the border security that facilitate the smuggling.
- CWG on Punjab terrorists, ISI radar: intelligence report - Jul 23, 2010
- Two terror suspects held with RDX in Punjab - May 21, 2012
- Fake currency of Rs.4.5 lakh face value seized in Punjab - Jan 20, 2011
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Two held with counterfeit currency notes - Aug 17, 2009
- Khalistan terrorist held in Amritsar (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- BSF kills Pakistani, finds heroin - Feb 23, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Security tight in Haryana following Sikh sect protest - Feb 28, 2010
- Man held with fake notes - Jan 22, 2011
- Fake US currency seized in Punjab - Feb 15, 2011
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Wanted Khalistani terrorist arrested in Amritsar - May 30, 2010
- Fake currency with face value of Rs.1.5 crore seized - Jun 07, 2011