Plea on apex court judge’s date of birth rejected (Lead)May 30th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday dismissed a non-resident Indian’s plea seeking direction to the government to hold an inquiry to determine the date of birth of Justice Altamas Kabir of the Supreme Court.
Justice Kabir is in line to become the next chief justice of India in September.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw dismissed Nirmal Jit Singh Hoon’s petition which alleged that Justice Kabir’s matriculation certificate was missing from his service record documents.
“The petition is totally motivated and is dismissed with a cost quantified as Rs.20,000,” the court said.
“There is no question of an inquiry to determine the age of Justice Altamas Kabir at this stage,” the bench said, adding that proper verifications were carried out before any person was elevated as a judge of high court.
The court also took note of the submission made by Additional Solicitor General A.S. Chandhiok, appearing for the government, that the petition was a motivated one.
He said Hoon had earlier lost a case in the Calcutta High Court when Justice Kabir was posted there.
Hoon alleged that he was given a “very evasive” response when he filed a right to information application on the issue.
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Delhi High Court stays court fee hike - Aug 09, 2012
- Court declines plea on blocking of web pages - Sep 05, 2012
- Court permits opening of Tiwari's DNA report - Jul 27, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Chandigarh man on MCD rolls surprises court (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- N.D. Tiwari is Shekhar's biological father, rules court (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Lawyer questioned for criticising Shivani case judge (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- Delhi High Court dismisses plea against regularising illegal colonies - Sep 12, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi bar council - Mar 07, 2012
- Civil services English paper has experts' nod, court told - Aug 22, 2012
- Seeking curbs on magical cure ads, Delhi tells court - Aug 30, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, calcutta high court, chief justice of india, court judge, date of birth, delhi high court, division bench, information application, kabir, matriculation certificate, New Delhi, petition, plea, rajiv, record documents, sahai, solicitor general, supreme court justice, verifications