Plea against release of Tamil Nadu prisoners denied urgent hearingSeptember 24th, 2008 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday refused to accord an early hearing to a lawsuit against the Tamil Nadu government decision to let off 1,405 prisoners prematurely Sep 15 on the 100th birthday of DMK founder leader and former chief minister C.N. Annadurai.Refusing to accede to the plea for an early hearing, a bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan, Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice J.M. Panchal said that it would hear the lawsuit Oct 13.
The petition against the Tamil Nadu government’s order for premature realese of the prisoners was filed by four New Delhi-based lawyers, one of whom had last year challenged similar premature release of 1,500 prisoners in Andhra Pradesh.
Seeking annulment of the Tamil Nadu government’s order, the petitioners contended that in the garb of celebrating Annadurai’s birthday, the ruling DMK had mostly freed its party workers involved in various offences.
The petitioners said that with the apex court seized of the legality of political practice of premature release of prisoners on various occasions, the Tamil Nadu government should not have freed the prisoners.
The government, they said, had not even obtained the mandatory reports from jail authorities before screening the convicts. They urged the court to quash the Tamil Nadu order.
- Jayalalithaa against setting jail-birds free - Jun 25, 2010
- Madras High Court stays decision to shift Anna Centenary Library - Nov 04, 2011
- Apex court to hear Tamil Nadu freebie case Sep 16 - Sep 03, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gets court notice on premature release of prisoners - Dec 15, 2008
- Apex court approves common curriculum for Tamil Nadu schools - Aug 09, 2011
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Apex court approves common curriculum for Tamil Nadu schools (lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- We prefer friendly ties with the centre: Karunanidhi - Apr 05, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Kanimozhi, four others get bail, Karunanidhi beams (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- SC refuses to stop fuel loading in Kundankulam plant (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu government to convert library into hospital - Nov 02, 2011
- Outgoing Tamil Nadu legislator's election quashed on voting day (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Kerala promises Mullaperiyar's protection, Tamil Nadu's 'no' to meet - Dec 15, 2011
- CBI opposes Kanimozhi bail plea (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011