Playwright Habib Tanvir’s condition improving: doctorsMay 14th, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 14 (IANS) The condition of veteran theatre personality Habib Tanvir, who was admitted to a private hospital here in critical condition after developing respiratory problems, is fast improving, doctors said Thursday.
Eighty-four-year-old Tanvir developed severe respiratory problems Sunday night and was immediately rushed to Hajela Hospital here from where he was Monday evening shifted to the National Hospital in the state capital for further treatment.
“Tanvir was admitted to a private hospital Sunday night when he complained of problems in breathing and he was later put on ventilator. He has now been taken off the ventilator but he would remain in the ICU for the next couple of days,” said P.K. Pande of National Hospital who is treating Tanvir.
“There is satisfactory improvement in his condition, his infection is under control, we have today (Thursday) asked him to walk and he is responding now to visitors and is talking to them. His blood pressure is under control,” Pande said.
“He has been put on a liquid diet. In total, his condition is near to normal and he is fully conscious,” Pande added.
Tanvir is a popular Hindi playwright, theatre director, poet and actor. He is the writer of plays such as “Agra Bazar” (1954) and “Charandas Chor” (1975). In 1959, he founded a theatre company called the Naya Theatre in Bhopal.
He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1969, Padma Shri in 1983, Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in 1996, and the Padma Bhushan in 2002.
Tanvir has also been nominated as a member of the Rajya Sabha (1972-1978). His play “Charandas Chor” got him the Fringe Firsts Award at Edinburgh International Drama Festival in 1982.
Madhya Pradesh culture secretary Manoj Srivastava visited the hospital with noted Hindi writer Dhruv Shukla and inquired about Tanvir’s health and asked the doctors to keep the state government informed about his health and whatever help is needed for his treatment.
Meanwhile, the state government has issued directives to provide financial assistance to Tanvir for his treatment.
- Noted playwright Habib Tanvir dead - Jun 08, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi mourns Habib Tanvir's death - Jun 08, 2009
- Noted playwright Habib Tanvir passes away - Jun 08, 2009
- Habib Tanvir's contribution to Indian theatre now in a book - Sep 01, 2012
- Delhi chief minister mourns Habib Tanvir's death - Jun 08, 2009
- Country mourns death of theatre legend Habib Tanvir (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- PM condoles demise of noted playwright Habib Tanvir - Jun 08, 2009
- Odissi dance guru Gangadhar Pradhan dead - Oct 11, 2010
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Habib Tanvir's death an irreparable loss: Theatre fraternity - Jun 08, 2009
- Theatre veteran Satyadev Dubey passes away (Second Lead) (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Khayyam gets Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2011
- Fahimuddin Dagar, golden voice of Dhrupad, falls silent - Jul 29, 2011
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- Satyadev Dubey's theatre brought fierce Indianness to stage (Obituary) - Dec 25, 2011