Pirlo penalty reminds me of Totti, says De RossiJune 25th, 2012 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, June 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Andrea Pirlo’s chipped penalty against England was reminiscent of a Francesco Totti’s strike that helped Italy reach the Euro 2000 final, Pirlo’s teammate Daniele De Rossi said Monday.
Italy dumped England out of Euro 2012 on penalties 4-2 Monday after a goalless draw and will meet the Germans in the semifinals.
Pirlo scored Italy’s second penalty with a delicate Panenka chip, popularised by the Czech midfielder Antonin Panenka in the final of Euro 1976 and used by Totti against the Dutch in the semifinal of Euro 2000.
“Pirlo’s crazy shot reminded me of Francesco Totti, who performed the same strike 12 years ago,” de Rossi said.
Totti scored Italy’s third consecutive penalty after the Dutch missed their first two shots and put Italy on the brink of a place in the final, which they reached only to lose to France thanks to a David Trezeguet golden goal.
Totti, 35, retired from the national team in 2006, after winning the 2006 World Cup.
Pirlo, 33, won two Serie A title and two Champions Leagues with AC Milan in a decade with the club before moving to fierce rivals Juventus in 2011 and winning another Italian title.
He has 10 goals in 87 Italy appearances.
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Balotelli brace stuns Germans, sends Italy to final - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy ready for German pressure, says coach Prandelli - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano and Balotelli send Italy to quarters - Jun 19, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain coach Del Bosque rejects past glories - Jul 01, 2012
- Fabregas grabs 1-1 draw for Spain against Italy - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain beat Portugal 4-2 on penalties, reach final - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany can't let Italy dictate, says Loew - Jun 28, 2012
- Italy wept in changing room, says Buffon - Jul 02, 2012
- Alonso sends Spain past France, into Euro 2012 semis - Jun 24, 2012
- Buffon saves Totti's penalty to extend Juventus' unbeaten streak - Dec 13, 2011
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: ac milan, andrea pirlo, brink, bs, champions leagues, david trezeguet, de rossi, euro 2000, euro 2012, francesco totti, germans, golden goal, italian title, kiev, midfielder, ria novosti, rivals, teammate, two shots, world cup