‘Pirates of the Caribbean…’ tops weekend box officeMay 23rd, 2011 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Captain Jack Sparrow seems to have worked his magic on Indian audiences for the fourth time. The fourth instalment of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise has emerged victorious at the weekend box office with 100 percent occupancy.
“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides”, which has been released in India in 3D and 2D versions, has beaten Hindi films “Pyar Ka Punchnama”, “404″ and “Kashmakash”.
“The response to ‘Pirates of Caribbean…’ has been extremely good. While the occupancy of 2D is 80 percent to 90 percent, 3D is going 100 percent. People are really liking the film,” a source from PVR told IANS.
According to hollywoodreporter.com, the film starring Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz, made at a budget of $250 million, has grossed $346 million worldwide in the opening weekend, making it the fourth best opening after “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”, “Spider-Man 3″ and the previous Pirates film, “At World’s End”.
“‘Pirates…’ has had a rocking opening. The special effects of the film are really good and it also boasts of action sequences. Moreover, Johnny Depp has a huge fan following. People are curious about the film,” said Yogesh Raizada, corporate head (Cinemas) of Wave Cinemas.
“‘Pirates…’ has stolen the show this weekend. We are playing the 3D version in most of our properties. With big names like Depp and Cruz and a franchise like ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, there is lot of curiosity among people and since it’s the holiday period, the film is likely to sustain,” said Amit Shah, chief manager (programming) of DLF DT cinemas.
In the fourth outing of the franchise, Captain Jack Sparrow is in search of the fountain of youth, with his former girlfriend Angelica (Penelope Cruz) conning the master conman into her ship. The idea is to procure life for her father - the evil pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), who it is prophesied will meet his end at the blade of a one legged man - Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush).
Together they battle killer mermaids, a Spanish army and treacherous jungles and seas to claim eternal youth. But everyone has their own secret agendas and caught between them is shaky, lovable pirate - Jack Sparrow.
The film has earned good reviews and critics are appreciating Depp’s acting.
One reviewer wrote: “With its love angles, brawny pirates, the kings’ armies, guns and magical lands, the film becomes the perfect adrenalin rush thanks to coordinated work by the film’s team. Jack Sparrow gets undivided attention in a full film dedicated to him.”
Not just Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore have also witnessed an occupancy of 80 percent to 90 percent.
“There was a lot of buzz about the film even before its release so that has really helped. People are enjoying it very much. I know some of them who have even watched the film twice. The film has done a decent business so far not only in Mumbai but also Kolkata and Bangalore,” said a spokesperson of Fame Cinemas.
Other films like “404″, “Pyar Ka Punchama” and “Kashmakash” have had 40-50 percent occupancy in the opening week.
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' to be screened at Cannes - Apr 15, 2011
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean...' provides rollicking fun (IANS Movie Review) - May 20, 2011
- Pirates Of The Caribbean 4: Footages Released, Fifth And Sixth Installment In The Offering Too? - Dec 04, 2010
- Keith Richards Makes Comeback in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Sequel - Oct 19, 2010
- Penelope may feature in next 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' film - Feb 12, 2010
- Penelope Cruz may star in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 4' - Feb 12, 2010
- Penelope Cruz Plays Johnny Depp's Love Again - Mar 23, 2010
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger tides' to release next year - Dec 15, 2010
- Keith Richards Makes A Comeback With Next “Pirates Of The Caribbean” - Oct 20, 2010
- Penelope Cruz All Set To Join Johnny Depp In "Pirates Of The Caribbean" - Mar 23, 2010
- Penelope Cruz to play Johnny Depp's love interest in Pirates 4 - Mar 23, 2010
- Shooting starts for 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' - Jun 23, 2010
- "Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" Gets Unleashed During Super Bowl - Feb 07, 2011
- Keira Knightley won't star in Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 - Mar 23, 2010
- Depp, Paradis part ways? - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: action sequences, captain jack sparrow, chief manager, conman, evil pirate, former girlfriend, half blood prince, harry potter and the half blood, harry potter and the half blood prince, ian mcshane, indian audiences, legged man, penelope cruz, pirate blackbeard, pirates of caribbean, pirates of the caribbean, spider man 3, starring johnny depp, stranger tides, weekend box office