Pillai’s remission within rules: ChandyNovember 2nd, 2011 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 2 (IANS) Even as the CPI-M’s V.S. Achuthanandan has approached the Supreme Court demanding the cancellation of amnesty given to former Kerala minister R. Balakrishna Pillai, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Wednesday said the action was taken within the law of the land.
Pillai, 76, chief of the Kerala Congress-Pillai — an ally of the Congress-led coalition — was in February sentenced by the apex court to an year’s imprisonment for corruption. The case was pursued for more than a decade by Achuthanandan.
On Tuesday, Pillai, along with 137 jail inmates, was released after the government decided to give amnesty on the occasion of the Kerala formation anniversary day.
Another 2,500 inmates will see their jail term reduced.
Spaeking to reporters, Chandy said: “Just because Pillai is in jail, we are not scared to use the rule of law thinking that it might create a controversy.”
“We have only done as the rule permits. We could have given the amnesty on Aug 15 when the country celebrated the Independence Day. We are prepared to face anything in this issue,” he said after the weekly cabinet meeting.
- Achuthanandan moves apex court against amnesty for ex-minister - Nov 01, 2011
- Kerala's ex-minister to be freed under amnesty scheme - Oct 31, 2011
- No favours from Chandy government: Balakrishna Pillai - Nov 11, 2011
- Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Former minister's jail term extended for using mobile - Oct 06, 2011
- LDF on warpath against Chandy - Oct 05, 2011
- Kerala orders CBI probe into attack on teacher - Nov 02, 2011
- Will Chandy government pardon UDF leader? - Jun 11, 2011
- Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict - Mar 06, 2012
- Chandy shielding teacher's attackers: Kerala opposition - Sep 30, 2011
- Left raises attack on school teacher in assembly - Oct 03, 2011
- Chandy denies speaking to jailed leader, assembly rocked - Oct 04, 2011
- Hearing Dec 9 on plea against Kerala politician's early release - Nov 11, 2011
- Achuthanandan offers to quit over land scam, party says no - Jan 13, 2012
- Apex court gives one-year jail to ex-Kerala minister (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 10, 2011