Pilgrim, porter die on Amarnath pilgrimage routeJune 17th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 17 (IANS) One porter was killed and another injured in a landslide on the Amarnath pilgrimage route in Jammu and Kashmir, while the body of an unidentified pilgrim was recovered near Manigam transit camp, police said Wednesday.
Police said the landslide that killed a porter occurred at Railpathri, 5 km ahead of the Baltal base camp Wednesday.
“The landslide killed one local porter while another was injured at Railpathri on the Baltal-cave shrine track. We have also recovered an unidentified body of a pilgrim at Manigam transit camp on the Srinagar-Baltal road,” a police officer said.
Rain and snow has been lashing the Amarnath pilgrimage route since Monday but with the improvement in weather Wednesday, the authorities allowed the passage of the pilgrims from Manigam base camp towards Baltal.
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra arrangements in full swing - Jun 23, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 22, 2010
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra - Jul 01, 2010