Pig’s head nailed to South Asian centre in BritainJune 5th, 2008 - 8:43 am ICT by IANS
London, June 5 (IANS) A pig’s head was nailed to the door of a former Methodist chapel in Cornwall that is to be converted to an all-faith South Asian community centre, police said. The suspected racist attack happened at the weekend near Carnons Down in the town of Truro, about 456 km from London, police said Wednesday.
The pig’s head is the latest in a series of racist attacks at the centre, which has been daubed with graffiti, including the words ‘Leave Now’ and Cornish nationalist slogans, over the past two weeks.
The owner of the centre, Muslim restaurateur Tipo Choudhury, said he was “saddened and shocked,” adding that the centre would not be just about religion, but would enable people to celebrate all faiths and cultures.
“I think they have misunderstood the intentions behind the centre,” he said, adding that it would not be a mosque. Rather, the community centre group was made up of Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Christians.
He said the plans for the community centre would continue.
Inspector Mark Richards of Devon and Cornwall Police said: “The graffiti is offensive not only to Asians, Asian religions, but also to Christians and Cornish nationalists whose name is taken in vain.”
“It is totally out of order,” he added.
Police have condemned the attack as “appalling and disgusting” and have vowed to catch the people responsible.
- Suspect on bail after pig's head nailed to Asian centre (Lead) - Jun 05, 2008
- Methodists 'live 7 years longer than others' - Jun 26, 2010
- A Cornish moniker for David Cameron's newborn daughter - Aug 26, 2010
- Muslims, Dalits should get equal rights: Ramdev - May 12, 2012
- 'London Taliban' sharia law to target women and homosexuals - Apr 18, 2011
- 'Report on Assam riots has inflammatory comments' - Aug 22, 2012
- Briton jailed for life for gouging woman's eyes - May 11, 2012
- Pew Center's religion poll shows that 1-in-5 Americans believe that Obama is a Muslim - Aug 20, 2010
- Gurdwara shooting victims remembered at vigils - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistani scholar clarifies remarks on Gujarat riots - Mar 03, 2012
- Experts liken Ground Zero mosque design to Superman's HQ - Oct 04, 2010
- Islam-Christianity dialogue features at Kazakh interfaith meet - May 31, 2012
- US church to burn Quran on Sep 11 - Jul 31, 2010
- Briton gouges out girlfriend's eyes - Apr 13, 2012
- Pig heads thrown into Malaysian mosques - Jan 27, 2010