Pietersen did not enjoy support of teamJanuary 8th, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 8 (IANS) Kevin Pietersen did not resign on his own but was given a choice to either step down from captaincy or face sacking after England cricket managing director Hugh Morris found that he did not enjoy the team’s support.Pietersen had reportedly told the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) that he would no longer work with coach Peter Moores, with whom he had a fall-out on many issues including Michael Vaughan’s exclusion from the West Indies tour.
But, far from backing their captain, as Pietersen expected his bosses to do, Morris told the captain that his position was untenable and gave him the chance to resign. Otherwise it was made clear he would be sacked, the Daily Mail reports.
ECB were widely expected to back Pietersen but when Morris started canvassing senior players and the coaching staff, it emerged that Pietersen did not have the support of the hugely influential Andrew Flintoff and the bulk of the other senior men, the report said.
So Pietersen finally fell on his sword, issuing a terse statement defending his conduct after a day of intense speculation.
Moores, hastily appointed to succeed Duncan Fletcher after the 2007 World Cup, was told by his great friend Morris it would be impossible for him to continue but refused to join Pietersen in resigning.
The South African-born batsman flew home London Thursday following a disastrous day for England cricket which culminated with the loss of both their captain and coach and can only seriously undermine their chances of winning back the Ashes this summer.
Andrew Strauss faces an almighty challenge to restore unity after being appointed the new England captain, starting with the tour of the West Indies this month.
- Feels strange to be back in England, says Fletcher - Jul 14, 2011
- Moores sacking came at the right time: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- Fletcher could come a cropper when he tours UK with Indian team: Swann - Apr 29, 2011
- My quitting as skipper laid England's Ashes win foundation: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- Pietersen left out of England Test squad for India tour - Sep 18, 2012
- Former England cricketers blame board for current crisis (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
- Boycott, Fletcher back Pietersen, slam ECB - Jan 08, 2009
- Duncan Fletcher appointed Indian cricket team coach - Apr 27, 2011
- England cricket in disarray as Pietersen, Moores quit - Jan 07, 2009
- England offer new contract to Flower to keep him away from India - Apr 19, 2011
- ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburst - May 24, 2012
- Pietseren's jab at South African-born cricketers in England team - Jul 17, 2011
- England cricket hit as captain and coach resign: report (Lead) - Jan 07, 2009
- Both Pietersen, Moores can be sacked - Jan 07, 2009
- Unfortunate circumstances forced me to resign: Pieterson - Jan 08, 2009