Phoolan Devi murder witness turns hostileMarch 13th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) A key prosecution witness in the 2001 murder of bandit-turned-politician Phoolan Devi Friday turned hostile in a city court, claiming that his earlier statement indicting Sher Singh Rana as the main accused was made at the behest of the public prosecutor.
Raja Kumar, who had studied with Rana at St. Gabriel School at Roorkee in Uttarakhand, said his statement recorded Feb 21, 2004 in a court, was not true as it was influenced by the public prosecutor.
He had at that time testified that Rana used to visit his residence here in a Maruti car, which was allegedly used in the crime, and had sought information about the slain Samajwadi Party MP, including her Delhi address.
Raja Friday told Additional Sessions Judge Brijesh Kumar Garg that Rana had not sought any information about Phoolan Devi and that his earlier statement was incorrect.
Taking note of his flip-flop, prosecutor S.K. Saxena submitted that Raja be declared a hostile witness so that he can be cross-examined for ascertaining the truth.
Rana, with 11 others, allegedly conspired and killed Phoolan Devi July 25, 2001, to avenge the 1981 Behmai massacre in which the then bandit queen killed 17 people of Thakur community.
The assailants had dropped their weapons at the murder spot after killing the MP outside her 44 Ashoka Road official residence.
- Phoolan Devi killing accused wants to campaign in UP - Feb 14, 2012
- Phoolan Devi murder accused allowed to contest Uttar Pradesh polls - Jan 24, 2012
- Phoolan Devi's controversial legacy alive in UP polls - Feb 22, 2012
- 'Bandit Queen' would have not been possible without Mala: Shekhar Kapur - May 24, 2011
- Phoolan Devi murder witness turns hostile - Nov 20, 2008
- Promote policeman who arrested Phoolan's murderer: court - Jul 16, 2009
- Court dismisses Phoolan Devi murder accused's plea to transfer case - Jul 02, 2008
- Nusrat brought me closer to god: Shekhar Kapur - Nov 06, 2011
- I'm making another film like 'Bandit Queen': Bobby Bedi - Mar 23, 2011
- Phoolan Devi's alleged killer seeks transfer of case - Feb 19, 2008
- Kidnapping accused flees Tihar Jail with fake court orders - Feb 13, 2010
- Phoolan Devi killer summoned to court March 14 - Mar 13, 2008
- Aarushi case: Forensic scientist's cross-examination on - Aug 24, 2012
- Painter refutes CBI claim in Aarushi murder case - Aug 31, 2012
- Defer forensic expert's cross-examination: Nupur Talwar - Aug 21, 2012