Phelps confirms retirement after London OlympicsAugust 3rd, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS) Swimming legend Michael Phelps, the most prolific Olympic medallist, has confirmed he would retire after the London Olympics.
“No more competitive swimming, no more club meets. I will definitely retire after London Olympics,” Phelps was quoted as saying by Xinhua Thursday.
Phelps retained a third straight Olympic gold in the 200m individual medley Thursday, becoming the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Games. The effort last night increased his medal count to 20.
“It is a relief to win an individual gold,” the 29-year-old said after the race, adding he was so proud to be the first-ever to defend a third straight Olympic title.
“It’s special for me, indeed,” he said.
After failing to defend his 200m butterfly and 400m individual medley at London Olympics, Phelps had an epic triumph over compatriot Ryan Lochte in the 200m medley final.
Phelps led all the way to power home in 1:54.27, half-body-length clear over Lochte to prove he is still the man to beat. Lochte bagged a silver to add to his five medals in London.
Describing Lochte as his greatest racer over the years, Phelps said they pushed each other over the years and Lochte had brought the best out of him.
Also Thursday, Phelps breezed into the men’s 100m butterfly as the fastest qualifier. He said he would go all out for the gold for his farewell show Friday.
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Rochte claims first gold in London, Phelps off podium - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: 100m butterfly, 200m butterfly, compatriot, competitive swimming, farewell, games, individual medley, london olympics, male swimmer, medal count, medals, michael phelps, olympic gold, olympic medallist, olympic title, olympics, retirement, ryan lochte, triumph, xinhua