Petitioner fined Rs.30,000 for frivolous suitJuly 22nd, 2010 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Slapping a fine of Rs.30,000 on a petitioner for a frivolous suit, the Delhi High Court Thursday said such litigation clogs the wheels of justice.
Justice V.B. Gupta hit out at people who file meritless suits and said: “Any litigant, who indulges in mindless litigation and unnecessarily wastes the precious time of the court, should not be spared. He must pay heavy costs for wasting the time of the court.”
“It is well settled that frivolous litigation clogs the wheel of justice, making it difficult for courts to provide easy and speedy justice to genuine litigants. It has also been observed in a large number of cases that meritless litigation should be dealt with a heavy hand,” the court said.
The court passed the order on a plea of a petitioner who approached it 11 years after a trial court passed an order against him. The petitioner pleaded that the trial court had no jurisdiction to pass the order.
Taking strong exception to the plea, Justice Gupta said the objections raised were bogus and frivolous.
- State-run firm fined Rs.50,000 for frivolous plea - Aug 16, 2010
- Brothers fined for filing frivolous petition - Sep 02, 2010
- Aarushi case: SC rejects Nupur Talwar's review plea (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Aarushi case: SC rejects Nupur Talwar's review plea (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- SC rejects plea, Talwars vow to nail Aarushi killers (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Dikshit gets court notice on BJP leader's plea - Jul 10, 2012
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Court slaps Rs.20,000 fine on NRI - Jan 29, 2012
- High Court refuses relief to Uttar Pradesh NRHM scam accused - Apr 12, 2012
- Relief for kin of crash victims: Air India plea rejected - Jul 09, 2011
- Notice issued to centre, Air India on pilots' plea - Jun 25, 2012
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Wary of frivolous cases, landlords keeping houses vacant: Court - Jul 09, 2011
- High court imposes fine for frivolous PIL - Apr 15, 2011
- Order reserved on recording court hearings - Jul 06, 2011