PETA pleads for animals killed in medical researchOctober 22nd, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 22 (IANS) PETA India has written to a government body that supervises experiments on animals to stop the alleged killing of animals in the name of medical research at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).Drawing the attention of the Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision on Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA) to media reports on the alleged incarceration of animals in the central animal house facility of the AIIMS, the NGO said: “We had written a letter to the CPCSEA chairman drawing his attention to this very important matter.
“CPCSEA has been constituted as per the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 and under the Animal Welfare Division of the Ministry of Environment and Forests. The prime concern of the committee should be welfare of the animals.
“However it is seen from the media reports that the expert consultant of CPCSEA, Anil Kumar Gupta, who was part of the team inspecting the animal house at AIIMS, had issued statements in the media prior to the inspection of the animal house facility of AIIMS, defending AIIMS,” the letter added.
The body asked how a member of inspection team, before ascertaining the facts, issue a statement defending an institute that has been accused of breaching the law.
The Indian chapter of the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) urged the committee members to take up the matter with the government for urgently rescuing all animals held at the AIIMS for research purposes.
It also urged the members to recommend severe action against the staff of the AIIMS animal house.
- PETA 'monkeys' around to protest AIIMS animal facility - Jul 10, 2009
- Prevent cruelty to animals in AIIMS lab, PETA urges PM - Oct 10, 2008
- Retire old monkeys, urges Anderson; animals fine, says AIIMS (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- PETA complains against illegal animal tests in Punjab - Sep 17, 2009
- PETA to protest outside AIIMS for release of animals - Mar 04, 2011
- PETA takes RTI route to protest against AIIMS - Mar 27, 2009
- NGO appeals for ban on cloning farm animals - Jul 08, 2010
- 'Biotechnology developments averse to animal welfare' - Mar 04, 2010
- Hema Malini urges ban on Tamil Nadu's Jallikattu - Jul 01, 2011
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- PETA to protest for passing new Animal Welfare Act - Dec 08, 2011
- Animal rights groups want tongas to stay off Delhi roads - Jul 18, 2012
- AIIMS improves animal care facilities - Jun 15, 2011
- Screen 'Kitty Porn' in Karnataka assembly, says PETA - Feb 27, 2012
- R Madhavan Is Sweeping The PETA Poll - Dec 09, 2010