Peruvian honour for Indian academicNovember 8th, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Peru will confer one of its highest civilian honours - the Order of Merit for Distinguished Services - on noted scholar S.P. Ganguly for his contribution to strengthening cultural links between India and the Latin American nation.
The award, La Orden Al Merito por Servicios Distinguidos en el Grado de Comendador, will be presented to Ganguly at a ceremony in the Indian capital next month, the Embassy of Peru said in a statement.
“I am delighted. It paves the way for promoting studies and interest in an area that has historically been neglected because of the dominance of English,” Ganguly, 65, a professor and scholar of Spanish and Latin American studies at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), told IANS.
The award is in recognition of “his valuable contribution, for more than 30 years, in the diffusion and promotion of knowledge on history, society, culture and literature of Peru and Latin America through his writings and guidance of research in India and abroad and for his mark as teacher in Spanish and Latin American Studies at JNU”, the embassy said.
“Ganguly has played a very important role in developing links between Peru and India, as guide for doctoral works and research studies on eminent literary figures such as Cesar Vallejo and Javier Sologuren,” it said.
The award ceremony will be held at the residence of the Ambassador of Peru, Javier Paulinich, Dec 7.
- Indian Hispanist gets Peruvian honour - Dec 08, 2011
- 'Latin America, Caribbean and India should build closer ties' - Jul 18, 2012
- Tagore gala begins in Spain with book, culture blitz - Sep 13, 2011
- Spanish Padma awardee loves India's culture, constitution and curry (Interview, With Image) - Feb 14, 2010
- Huffington Post launches Spanish-language edition - Jun 08, 2012
- Javier Bardem to appear in film based on brother's novel - Apr 26, 2012
- Spain seeks stronger trade ties with Brazil - May 18, 2012
- Obama felicitates Al Pacino - Feb 16, 2012
- India, Spain share a laugh over cartoons (With Images) - Jun 24, 2012
- Hariprasad Chaurasia gets top French honour - Nov 03, 2010
- L'Affaire Assange: Lessons from Latin America (Comment) - Sep 03, 2012
- Juanes to perform in Peru, visit Machu Picchu - Jun 29, 2012
- Placido Domingo Bags Person Of The Year Award In 2010 Latin Grammy - Nov 12, 2010
- Folk dances from Ecuador cast their spell - Dec 22, 2010
- Images of Latin American sufferings in Delhi - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: award ceremony, distinguished services, dominance, embassy of peru, ganguly, history society, honour, honours, indian academic, javier sologuren, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru university, jnu, latin america, latin american nation, latin american studies, New Delhi, order of merit, society culture, vallejo