Peru’s president relieves 22 generalsJuly 4th, 2012 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
Lima, July 4 (IANS/EFE) President Ollanta Humala relieved 22 generals of their commands in an effort to reinvigorate strategically important units of the Peruvian army, a media report said.
Personnel changes in the higher ranks of the military are usually made at the end of the year, La Republica newspaper said Tuesday.
The shakeup comes less than a week after Humala, a retired lieutenant colonel, made a surprise appearance at a meeting of the army high command.
The changes were made now to give the new army chief, Gen. Ricardo Moncada, an opportunity to appoint unit commanders who have “his full confidence”, unnamed military sources told La Republica.
The same sources acknowledged, however, that some of the generals relieved by Humala had fallen short of superiors’ expectations.
The new commanders include three of Humala’s military academy classmates: Brig. Gens. Edgardo Zapata, Prospero Diaz and Juan Salazar.
Two of the units to get new commanding officers, the 5th Mountain Brigade in Cuzco and the 2nd Infantry Brigade in Huamanga, play key roles in the battle against drug cartels and remnants of the Shining Path rebel group in the Valley of the Apurimac and Ene Rivers, a region in southern Peru.
- Peruvian police rescue 10 kids from guerrillas - Jul 07, 2012
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- Colombian soldier snaps, kills three comrades - Sep 01, 2012
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- Eight die in two plane crashes in Bolivia - Apr 23, 2012
- Nine survive military helicopter crash in Colombia - Dec 05, 2011
- Grenade blast kills 3 soldiers in Colombia - Feb 24, 2011
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- 15 tonnes of methamphetamine seized in Mexico - Feb 10, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K Singh to be next army vice chief - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia military to form 26 new brigades by 2020 - Jul 17, 2012
- Items from Machu Picchu return to Peru after nearly a century - Mar 31, 2011
- Boy dies after being attacked by puma - Mar 03, 2010
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: apurimac, army chief, classmates, commanding officers, cuzco, drug cartels, infantry brigade, juan salazar, lieutenant colonel, military academy, military sources, personnel changes, peruvian army, prospero, rebel group, shakeup, shining path, southern peru, surprise appearance, unit commanders