Perjury plea against Medha Patkar dismissedMarch 31st, 2010 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) A city court Wednesday dismissed a plea to prosecute Medha Patkar of Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) for alleged perjury.
The petition filed against her alleged that she filed a fake medical certificate to get exemption from personal appearance in two criminal defamation cases against her.
Metropolitan Magistrate Munish Markan’s order said: “Arguments on perjury application heard. Documents perused and application dismissed.”
Complainant V.K. Saxena, president for National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL), filed the application against Patkar who claimed that she took exemption from personal appearance on two occasions allegedly by producing a false medical certificate on March 3, 2009.
He alleged she was allegedly staging a protest at the collector’s office at Nandurbar in Maharashtra on that day.
Calling it a sponsored litigation, V.K. Ohri, counsel for Patkar, said: “This is just a way of harassing Patkar as she filed a criminal defamation case in Delhi against Saxena in 2000 for publishing advertisements against her and the activities of NBA”.
The court has fixed July 1 for hearing the arguments on issuance of notice in the two defamation cases filed by Saxena and Patkar against each other.
Saxena also filed a criminal defamation case against her in Ahmedabad in 2001 for accusing him of making payments through cheques to an NGO in Malegaon in Maharashtra.
- Court notice to Medha Patkar on medical certificate - Feb 08, 2010
- Medha Patkar fined Rs.5,000 for not appearing in court - Mar 10, 2011
- Court slaps fine on Medha Patkar - Sep 14, 2009
- Medha Patkar told to ensure lawyer's presence - May 23, 2012
- Sue Patkar for Lavasa work stoppage: NCCL chief - Jan 08, 2011
- Warrant issued against Medha Patkar in defamation suit - Jan 28, 2009
- Former army chief opposes plea to cancel his bail - Aug 24, 2012
- Court grants bail to BJP leader Gupta - Aug 31, 2012
- Cancellation of ex-army chief's bail sought - Aug 08, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Police likely to file another charge sheet - Feb 10, 2012
- Court order on plea against V.K. Singh's bail Sep 19 - Sep 10, 2012
- Court dismisses former army chief's plea - Aug 28, 2012
- Court spares BJP leader personal appearance in Dikshit case - Jul 12, 2012
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Court order on plea against V.K. Singh's bail Sep 19 (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, civil liberties, complainant, criminal defamation, defamation case, defamation cases, issuance, magistrate, maharashtra, malegaon, medical certificate, nandurbar, narmada bachao andolan, narmada bachao andolan nba, nccl, ohri, perjury, personal appearance, saxena, two occasions