People’s court on matrimonial disputes hugely popularMarch 1st, 2009 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) The capital’s first Lok Adalat (people’s court) dealing with cases of domestic violence and matrimonial disputes on maintenance Sunday received great response from the litigants, court officials said.
“We have received a great response from people today. It was, in fact, overwhelming. People come to courts in great numbers and show keen interest in settling their cases,” said Sanjay Sharma, a project officer of the Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA), which has organised the Lok Adalat.
Of the 60 cases listed in four district courts, 12 have been settled.
“We have sent 27 cases to the next Lok Adalat as both the parties to these cases have shown keen interest in solving their disputes,” said Sharma.
The next Lok Adalat is scheduled for March 15.
According to the data provided by the DLSA, 5,426 cases of domestic violence and 7,700 cases of maintenance are pending in the five district courts of the capital.
Explaining the reason behind the matrimonial Lok Adalat, Sharma said: “The idea is to offer an informal platform for settlement of matrimonial disputes and at the same time decongest the courts of such matters.”
“It has been the priority of this authority to settle the disputes between the parties, particularly in matrimonial and family matters, at pre-litigation stage itself to save the time and money of the parties involved,” he added.
- 'Peoples' court' in capital to deal with matrimonial disputes - Feb 27, 2009
- 12-year-old matrimonial dispute settled in just 30 minutes! - Mar 15, 2009
- Delhi Lok Adalat disposes 7,900 pending cases - Mar 12, 2011
- Special Lok Adalat for power cases Jan 14-15 - Jan 09, 2012
- Lok Adalat settles 1,400 power bill cases - May 20, 2012
- Special Lok Adalat for power theft convened in Delhi - Jan 14, 2012
- 4,021 cases settled at Lok Adalat in Delhi - May 13, 2012
- Criminal cases to be taken up in Lok Adalat - Mar 19, 2009
- 3,092 cases disposed off in Delhi Lok Adalat Sunday - Mar 18, 2012
- Second wife also has right to maintenance: peoples' court - Mar 01, 2009
- 4,793 cases settled at Delhi Lok Adalat - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi Lok Adalats settle 67,047 cheque-bounce cases - Sep 13, 2012
- Tripura Lok Adalats clear 640 revenue cases - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Legally literate' Chandigarh students to help needy - May 25, 2011
- Over 319,500 cases settled in Haryana, Punjab public courts - Dec 22, 2008