People’s audit of SEZ to include corporate, state membersDecember 20th, 2009 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 20 (IANS) Corporate and government representatives will be included in a national forum to audit the controversial Special Economic Zone (SEZ) policy but at a later stage, leading anti-SEZ activist Medha Patkar said Sunday.
In Goa with other activists to hear citizens’ concerns against the setting up of SEZs in the state, Patkar said all the multi-state people’s audit forum will later form a sort of a national commission on this issue.
“That (national commission) will decide a future strategy. Government and corporate representatives could have a stake in the process. They do not give us this space, but we will give it to them,” the Magsaysay award winner said.
Praising Goa for leading the way successfully against SEZs in the country, Patkar said other states needed to learn from the strategies and methods in which the Goan society forced the state government to denotify the policy of SEZ.
“There are a lot of lessons to be learnt from Goa struggle against SEZs. Goa is the only state, where people’s movements forced the state government to retract its SEZ policy,” Patkar said.
The audit has been jointly initiated by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Jagatikaran Virodhi Kriti Samiti, an alliance of several farmers’ organisations in SEZ areas, National Alliance of People’s Movements, National Campaign for People’s Right to Information, National Centre for Advocacy Studies, the India Centre for Human Rights Lawyers Network and the Goa Bachao Abhiyaan.
The state government has already scrapped 12 proposed SEZs in Goa, in face of public opposition.
The state government is also in dialogue with the union Trade and Commerce Minister Anand Sharma urging him to expedite the process of de-notifying the three remaining SEZs in Goa, which includes Meditab Specialities Private Ltd (123.2 hectares), Peninsula Pharma Research Centre Pvt Ltd (20.36 hectares) and K. Raheja Corp Pvt Ltd (106 hectares).
- Goa government withdraws SEZ policy - Jun 15, 2009
- Police file case over Goa land allotment - Aug 18, 2012
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Goa minister goes against own government, supports SEZs - Nov 09, 2009
- Fear of litigation halts SEZ de-notification: Goa chief minister - Nov 20, 2009
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010
- SEZs needed to tackle unemployment in Goa: industry lobby - Apr 08, 2009
- Goa chief minister to meet Kamal Nath on SEZ issue - Jan 05, 2009
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Goa Bachao group accuses Ramdev of being unethical - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: advocacy studies, commerce minister, corporate representatives, future strategy, government representatives, human rights lawyers, india centre, institute of social sciences, k raheja, kriti, lawyers network, magsaysay award, medha patkar, national forum, private ltd, public opposition, sezs, special economic zone, state members, tata institute of social sciences