‘People lay in a pool of blood’September 13th, 2008 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) A blast and then he saw people lying in a pool of blood. Company executive Rohit Tiwari, who was barely 50 meters away from the site of the terror bombing in Barakhamba Road in central Delhi Saturday, says it was the shock of a lifetime for him.”Earlier, I had seen the impact of a blast on TV but this time I saw it with my own eyes. This is the shock of a lifetime,” said Tiwari, who was at that time coming out of his office located behind the Gopaldas building where the blast took place.
The Barakhamba crossing in Connaught Place was one of the sites of the six serial terror blasts in Delhi that killed at least 18 people and injured nearly 100.
Tiwari, who is an assistant manager with an electronic major, said he heard an explosion and within minutes people were lying in a pool of blood.
“It must have been a little after 6.30 p.m. The blast was from a roadside dustbin. At least two auto rickshaws were mangled there.
“A man in a white shirt whom I had seen standing there minutes ago lay on the ground after the blast…I think at least three people who were standing close to the dustbin died on the spot,” he said.
Police said two people were killed there.
“I could not believe what had happened. I think the blast was low intensity. People near roadside eateries received the maximum injury,” said Tiwari, who is an assistant manager with an electronic major.
He said his wife, whose office is near Rajiv Chowk Metro station, was equally shocked.
“My first instinct was to bring her to my office and leave for home. Who knows, more blasts could have taken place.”
- 2008 Delhi blasts: memories linger, lessons yet to be learnt - Sep 13, 2012
- High court horror: Splattered blood, flying body parts - Sep 07, 2011
- A powerful blast, and then pools of blood, recount eyewitnesses - Jul 14, 2011
- It's lawyers, litigants - and security personnel - at court (Week after Delhi High Court blast) - Sep 14, 2011
- Most eyewitnesses mistook blasts for something else - Jul 14, 2011
- One hurt in low-intensity blasts in Pune (Third Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- N.D. Tiwari refuses to give blood sample for paternity test - Jul 21, 2011
- A bustling diamond market wears deserted look - Jul 14, 2011
- One hurt in low-intensity blasts in Pune (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- N.D. Tiwari gets contempt of court notice - Sep 27, 2011
- High court back to work, investigations on - Sep 08, 2011
- Four children injured in Patna explosion - Mar 01, 2011
- Firecracker blast causes panic in Bangalore - Sep 09, 2011
- 37 dead as newspaper offices bombed in Nigeria (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Seven hurt in Pakistan blast - May 24, 2012