People in Hisar voted against corruption: BJPOctober 17th, 2011 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) People’s anger against corruption had led to the Congress loss in the Hisar Lok Sabha by-election in Haryana, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said Monday.
The Congress lost the Hisar by-election, seen as significant as Anna Hazare and his team had campaigned against the party, to Kuldeep Singh Bishnoi of the Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC), an alliance partner of the BJP. While the Indian National Lok Dal came second, the state’s ruling Congress finished third in the election.
BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters that it was a victory of democracy.
“The by-election results show that the people of India have voted against corruption and the Congress,” Joshi said.
“This is a victory of democracy…It also indicates which way the political wind is blowing in the country,” he said.
His colleague, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, thanked the people of Haryana and said their alliance with the HJC would continue.
“Thanks to people of Haryana particularly the electorate of Hissar for supporting the BJP-HJC alliance and electing their joint candidate Shri Kuldeep Bishnoi,” Swaraj tweeted.
“The BJP-HJC alliance will continue in future also,” she said.
The Hisar seat fell vacant in June following the death of three-time chief minister Bhajan Lal, Bishnoi’s father.
- I am not winning because of Anna: Bishnoi - Oct 17, 2011
- BJP, Haryana Janhit Congress enter poll alliance - Sep 10, 2011
- Hisar election is historic for India: Gadkari - Oct 09, 2011
- Polls can't be won on a single issue: Khurshid - Oct 18, 2011
- Hisar's main contestants record massive hike in properties - Oct 12, 2011
- After Hisar defeat, uphill task for Hooda in by-polls - Nov 07, 2011
- Bishnoi races towards victory in Hisar, Congress third - Oct 17, 2011
- Campaigning for Hisar by-poll ends - Oct 11, 2011
- Bishnoi resigns from Haryana assembly - Oct 24, 2011
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Hisar police chief transferred before election - Oct 05, 2011
- We're treating Hisar as a referendum: Kejriwal - Oct 09, 2011
- A Rs.300 crore 'Thank You' from Hooda! (Haryana Newsletter) - Dec 18, 2011
- Counting begins in Haryana assembly bypoll seats - Dec 04, 2011
- In Hisar, roadroller almost crushed Bishnoi's tractor - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: alliance partner, anna hazare, bhajan lal, bharatiya janata party, bishnoi, chief minister, colleague, corruption, election results, electorate, hissar, hjc, kuldeep singh, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, manohar joshi, New Delhi, political wind, sushma swaraj, time chief