Peacocks found dead in Uttar PradeshDecember 15th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 15 (IANS) The recovery of the carcasses of two peacocks in an Uttar Pradesh town has thrown state forest officials in a tizzy.The peacocks were found dead in Konch town of Jalaun district, some 250 km here.
“Our officials came across the carcasses of the peacocks Monday during a routine inspection,” divisional forest officer (DFO) J.M. Singh told IANS by telephone.
He said the exact cause of the death of the peacocks is yet to be ascertained, but prima-facie the incident appears to be a case of suspected poisoning.
“Preliminary investigations indicate the death of peacocks is not natural. There is an indication that the birds died of poisoning,” Singh said.
The forest officials suspect that local villagers poisoned the peacocks for their meat.
The peacock, the national bird of India is protected under Section 51, 1-A of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 and its killing is strictly prohibited.
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- 13 peacocks killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 09, 2011
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- Tiger found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 12, 2010
- Peacock Poacher arrested with three carcasses - Nov 24, 2010
- Nine peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Dec 10, 2011
- Man held with peacock carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2011
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- Undertrial commits suicide in Uttar Pradesh prison - Sep 20, 2011
- 8 peacocks succumb to heat stroke in Aravalli village - Jun 11, 2012
- Two poachers held with deer carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 16, 2010
- Two arrested for killing peacocks - Feb 11, 2011
- 30 peacocks die in Greater Noida - Aug 07, 2012