Peaceful Eid prayers held across KashmirNovember 7th, 2011 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 7 (IANS) Thousands of Muslims turned out Monday across the Kashmir Valley to offer Eid-ul-Zuha prayers at various Eidgahs and mosques despite the morning cold.
Large Eid gatherings were held at the Jamia Mosque in the old city area, Polo Grounds in uptown Srinagar and the Hazratbal shrine on the banks of the Dal Lake where locals wearing new clothes greeted each other with fervour and gaiety after offering prayers.
At the forefront of Eid celebrations, children burst firecrackers to announce their joy. Special prayers were offered at various places for peace, prosperity and brotherhood.
Imams leading Eid prayers asked Muslims to celebrate Eid with austerity and donate generously towards various orphanages and charitable institutions in the valley.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his father, union Minister for Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah, offered the Eid namaz at the Hazratbal shrine where elaborate arrangements of security were made to ensure incident-free prayers.
Reports of peaceful Eid gatherings came in from north Kashmir’s Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian and Kulgam districts.
Eid gatherings in the north Kashmir districts of Ganderbal, Bandipora, Baramulla and Kupwara also passed off peacefully.
Thousands of animals will be sacrificed here Monday afternoon to commemorate the historic sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim. Legend has it that bowing to Allah’s command, Ibrahim offered his son Ismail in sacrifice. When he blindfolded himself and moved the knife on his son’s throat, Allah ordered a ram from heaven to replace Ismail.
Eid-ul-Zuha is celebrated by Muslims around the world to commemorate the great sacrifice made by Prophet Ibrahim.
For two days, devout Muslims will continue the sacrificial ritual and distribute the meat to neighbours, relatives and charitable institutions.
- Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 07, 2011
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Jama Masjid packed on Eid, spirit of sacrifice reigns - Nov 07, 2011
- Kerala Muslims celebrate Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Amid rain, Kashmiris hit shopping high for Eid - Nov 05, 2011
- India celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha with spirit of sacrifice (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2009
- Delhi celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 28, 2009
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Nov 07, 2011
- In Hyderabad, faithful throng Mir Alam Eidgah, Mecca Masjid - Nov 17, 2010
- Praying, feeding poor, Lucknow Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha - Nov 17, 2010
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Livestock sellers earn huge profits in Kashmir ahead of Eid festival - Nov 26, 2009
Tags: anantnag, austerity, charitable institutions, chief minister, eid celebrations, eid namaz, eid prayers, eid ul zuha, firecrackers, gaiety, jamia mosque, kashmir valley, north kashmir, orphanages, polo grounds, prophet ibrahim, sacrificial ritual, son ismail, srinagar, union minister