Peaceful Eid celebrations in MaharashtraAugust 20th, 2012 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 20 (IANS) Eid-ul-Fitr was celebrated amid peace and religious fervour across Mumbai and Maharashtra Monday with Muslims offering special congregational prayers as thanksgiving to mark the end of the month of Ramzan.
After offering prayers, people greeted and hugged each other.
At most areas of the city including Colaba, Nagpada, Mazgaon and Mahim in south Mumbai, Bandra, Andheri, Jogeshwari, Kandivali and Malad in northwest Mumbai and Ghatkopar and Kurla in central Mumbai, the celebrations began with the bursting of crackers.
Shoppers thronged the markets and vendors selling bangles, mehndi, dry fruits etc were seen doing brisk business.
While homemakers were busy preparing sumptuous meals, youngsters made plans to have a fun-filled day.
“We will probably spend the afternoon watching ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ and will go to the beach in the evening. Feasting on delicacies on Mohammed Ali Road is also planned,” said Aaliya Shaikh, a college student from Nagpada.
“I am looking forward to the Hyderabadi biryani and sheer khurma and savaiyan kheer cooked by my mother,” said Ali Khan, a resident of Andheri.
Even as the festivities began, police beefed up security across the financial capital of the country.
“Over 2,000 personnel have been deployed in local police stations. Apart from them, about a hundred home guards, 20 SRPF (State Reserve Police Force) platoons and three companies each of the Rapid Action Force and the Riot Control Police have also been deployed,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Nisar Tamboli.
The festival was also celebrated peacefully in Aurangabad, Pune, Nashik, Malegaon, Ratnagiri, Raigad and Beed.
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates spirit of sacrifice on Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Muslims urged to fight terror on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Despite terror threats, Mumbai gets into festive mood - Sep 11, 2010
- Thousands pay homage to Ambedkar on death anniversary - Dec 06, 2011
- Celebrating Eid-ul-Azha with prayers - and a 180 kg goat! - Nov 17, 2010
- Sena activists pelt stones, attempt shut down in parts of Mumbai - Feb 12, 2010
- Rains bring cheers and woes to Mumbai - Jul 08, 2011
- Joyful Christmas with gifts, prayers in Mumbai - Dec 25, 2011
- Jama Masjid packed on Eid, spirit of sacrifice reigns - Nov 07, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates Eid-e-Milad - Feb 05, 2012
- Bollywood wishes fans on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Forget dieting, Eid is B-Town's time to feast! - Aug 20, 2012
- Another rioter arrested for damaging Mumbai memorial - Aug 30, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates Holi with fun, frolic and revelry - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: ali khan, brisk business, commissioner of police, congregational prayers, dry fruits, eid celebrations, eid ul fitr, hyderabadi biryani, kandivali, kurla, mahim, mohammed ali road, month of ramzan, nisar, raigad, religious fervour, reserve police, riot control, south mumbai, sumptuous meals