Peace is the message - 400,000 flowers the mediumJanuary 19th, 2012 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 19 (IANS) A 30-ft Buddhist stupa made of 400,000 flowers, including 150,000 roses, to convey the message of peace will be the star attraction at the Bangalore flower show beginning Friday as part of Republic Day celebrations.
In front of the floral 34-ft radius stupa built at the Glass House in the famed Lalbagh will stand a statue of Buddha decorated with 75,000 roses and other flowers.
The annual show is held for 10 days, starting six days ahead of the R-Day Jan 26, at the Lalbagh Botanical Garden spread over 240 acres in the city centre.
For the first time, a group of florists from the Netherlands will showcase arrangement of flowers from their country at the Glass House, according to P. Hemalatha, director of horticulture department that manages the Lalbagh.
A team from Udhagamandalam (formerly Ooty) in neighbouring Tamil Nadu has created a floral replica of a waterfall where thousands of flowers appear to fall from a height of 10 ft.
Other attractions at the show will be floral arrangements with Dances of India as the theme displaying Yakshagana, Dandiya, Bharatanatya, Kathakali, Kuchipudi and many folk dance forms.
Over 10 million are expected to visit the show that ends Jan 29, Hemalatha told reporters Wednesday.
- Colourful run up to Independence Day in Bangalore (With Images) - Aug 08, 2009
- A 250,000-rose India Gate replica - Aug 04, 2010
- Qutab Minar of 100,000 flowers - at Bangalore (With image) - Jan 19, 2010
- Be in Bangalore for daylong dance fiesta (April 29 is World Dance Day) - Apr 26, 2012
- A colourful flower show in Bangalore - Aug 11, 2009
- Celebrating freedom with flowers and fun in Bangalore - Aug 05, 2009
- Flowery message of peace attracts thousands to Bangalore's Lalbagh - Jan 22, 2009
- Rose prices set to soar ahead of Valentine's Day - Feb 08, 2012
- Medley of Indian classical dances as ode to rivers - Sep 23, 2011
- Kalamandalam Hemalatha Creates Guinness Record For Longest Dance! - Jan 09, 2011
- Gender empowerment modernised kuchipudi, says maestro (With Image) - Aug 09, 2011
- Colourful flowers lure visitors to Bangalore flower show - Aug 08, 2010
- Floral replicas of Taj, pyramids attracting visitors to Chennai flower show - Dec 28, 2009
- Kate Middleton to walk down tree lined aisle inside Westminster Abbey - Apr 27, 2011
- Clouds mar venus Venus transit viewing in Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: arrangement of flowers, botanical garden, buddha, dance forms, dandiya, floral arrangements, flower show, folk dance, ft radius, glass house, horticulture department, jan 19, jan 29, lalbagh, republic day, six days, star attraction, statue of buddha, tamil nadu, waterfall