Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: ChidambaramJanuary 24th, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 24 (IANS) Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Tuesday hinted that the government is planning to sign a peace accord with the Dima Halam Daogah faction of rebels led by Jewel Gorlocha (DHD-J), also known as Black Widow militants.
Attending an arms laying-down ceremony of nine militants outfits in Guwahati Tuesday, the home minister said the process of having peace initiative with the DHD-J is in the final stage and the government is likely to sign a peace accord with the outfit soon.
The other faction of the Dimasa militants led by Dilip Nunisa (DHD-N) might have to wait for some more time to formally sit in the peace process.
While the DHD-N has been in ceasefire pact with the union government since 2003, the DHD-J laid down arms before Chidambaram at a function held in Guwahati in 2009. A total of 416 cadres of the DHD-J laid down their arms before the minister and shifted to designated camps.
The process of peace talks with the DHD-N ran into rough weather as its chairman Dilip Nunisa refused to settle for anything less than ‘Dimaraji’ a separate Dimasa state. The other faction of Dimasa militants - DHD-J - settled with the demand for bringing the Dima Hasao district under Article 244 (A) of the Constitution - for an autonomous state within a state arrangements.
The home minister, however, cautiously avoided the issue of peace process with the DHD-N and the Karbi Anglong-based Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF) militants and only said that “the deliberations with the DHD-N and KLNLF have also been progressing”.
- No talks with breakaway insurgent groups, says government - Apr 07, 2010
- Assam rebel group to surrender en masse - Sep 14, 2009
- Ceasefire agreements with Assam rebel groups extended - Jan 18, 2012
- 13 militants formally surrender before Manipur Chief Minister - Apr 22, 2011
- DNRF militant nabbed in Assam - Mar 21, 2012
- Black Widow rebels surrender en masse in Assam, hopes of peace brighten - Oct 02, 2009
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- Government funds siphoned off to Assam terror outfit: NIA chargesheet - Oct 22, 2010
- Telengana storm hits Assam, separate statehood demands get strident - Dec 11, 2009
- Militant's surrender brings new hope for peace in northeast - Feb 19, 2010
- Forces kill four militants in pre-dawn Assam raid - Jun 23, 2012
- Successive shutdowns disrupt life in northeast - Jan 22, 2011
- Home Secretary Pillai visiting Assam, talks with Black Widow on cards - Jul 30, 2009
- Black Widow surrenders weapons in Assam - Sep 16, 2009
- Terrorists' arms cache recovered in Assam - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: autonomous state, black widow, cadres, ceasefire, deliberations, dhd, dima, guwahati, jan 24, karbi, national liberation front, pact, peace accord, peace initiative, peace process, peace talks, rebel faction, rough weather, union government, union home minister