PDP wants army special powers revoked in entire stateNovember 21st, 2011 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 21 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir’s main opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Monday said the controversial Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) should be revoked from the entire state and not just from four districts as proposed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
“We demand the complete revocation of the AFSPA from the entire state and not merely from four districts as proposed by Omar Abdullah. The army does not anyway operate in these areas from where Omar proposes to revoke the AFSPA,” PDP leader Molvi Ifftekhar Hussain Ansari said at a rally here.
The PDP took out a rally against alleged rampant corruption in the state. It started from the party headquarters and ended in Regal Chowk, adjacent to city centre Lal Chowk.
Scores of PDP activists carried placards against graft and set ablaze an effigy depicting corruption.
Former deputy chief minister and PDP leader Muzaffar Hussain Baig also joined the rally.
The rally also called for the release of minors allegedly arrested by the police on charges of stone pelting in the city.
- PDP marches to highlight corruption in Kashmir - Oct 24, 2011
- Chaos in Kashmir assembly over NC worker's death - Oct 03, 2011
- Can Abdullah emerge unscathed from AFSPA logjam? - Nov 16, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Centre silent on misdeeds of Omar government: PDP - Nov 15, 2011
- Omar disagrees with army chief on special powers act - Jan 02, 2012
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- Revocation of AFSPA inevitable: Mufti Sayeed - Nov 11, 2011
- Revoke AFSPA in Kashmir, reiterates Omar - Dec 29, 2011
- Kashmir custodial death: Government rubbishes PDP charges - Oct 01, 2011
- Decision on AFSPA in November: Omar Abdullah - Oct 28, 2011
- Omar angry at media leaks on security meeting - Nov 10, 2011
- PDP steps up protests against Omar Abdullah government - Oct 14, 2011
- No public debate on AFSPA revocation: Omar - Nov 21, 2011
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: activists, afspa, ansari, armed forces, army, baig, chowk, democratic party, deputy chief minister, effigy, graft, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lal, opposition, party headquarters, rally, rampant corruption, revocation