PDP scripted new chapter in Kashmir’s history: MuftiMarch 25th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 25 (IANS) Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister and patron of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Sunday said his party has “scripted a new chapter in the political history of the state by challenging the hegemony of the National Conference (NC) and provided an alternative to the people of the state”.
“The NC leadership has never allowed democracy to flourish in Jammu and Kashmir. This political party has brazenly used undemocratic means to remain in power,” Mufti Sayeed said while addressing an impressive public meeting at Ranbir Singh Pura near Jammu city.
“The formation of the PDP in the year 1999 was a turning point in the history of Jammu and Kashmir. In a short span of time, PDP has earned credibility of the state’s people. The party has emerged as the biggest political force of the state,” he said, adding: “I don’t want to praise ourselves but it a historical fact that it was the PDP that revived the people’s confidence of in democratic institutions.”
“From 1947 to 2002, the NC had never allowed strengthening of democratic institutions in the state because instability in the system as well as in the state suits this party,” he observed and asserted that PDP has challenged domination of NC and changed political discourse of the state through its visionary and pro-peace policies.
“During our regime, we had not only restored peace in the state but also created an atmosphere for accelerating developmental activities,” he said and regretted that present regime has derailed the process of peace and development in Jammu and Kashmir.
“During the last three years, alienation among people has been increasing due to governance deficit because this regime has failed to connect itself with the people,” he said .
- Kashmiris feeling alienated under Omar: Mufti - Jan 09, 2012
- Credibility of J&K; regime at lowest: Mufti - Sep 01, 2012
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed seeks civic polls in Kashmir - Dec 04, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of 'double standards' - Sep 24, 2011
- Mufti's call for government change in J&K; - May 26, 2012
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- Revocation of AFSPA inevitable: Mufti Sayeed - Nov 11, 2011
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- 'Self-rule can negate adverse effects of partition' - Jul 07, 2011
- Include people in Kashmir issue's resolution: PDP - Jul 09, 2011
- NC, PDP mourn death of judge who got Mufti's daughter freed - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: alienation, chief minister, credibility, democratic institutions, democratic party, hegemony, jammu and kashmir, jammu city, kashmir, mohammad, mufti mohammad sayeed, new chapter, peace policies, political discourse, political history, pura, ranbir singh, state suits, turning point, visionary