Pay bills, take body, hospital tells familyOctober 2nd, 2008 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, Oct 1 (IANS) The body of a 40-year-old man of this Punjab district will have to wait for some more time for its last rites as a leading private hospital in this industrial city Wednesday refused to let the bereaved family conduct funeral till it paid pending bills of Rs.218,000.The Christian Medical College (CMC) here is demanding the money from the family of Najjar Singh, who died in the hospital Monday.
In fact, the CMC officials initially even refused to hand over the body to the Punjab police, which wanted it for post-mortem examination to complete investigations leading to his death.
The CMC allowed the body to be taken for post-mortem only on the condition that it would be delivered back to it. The body was deposited back to the CMC after the autopsy.
The hospital refused to entertain pleas of the family of the deceased and the village panchayat to hand over the body for the last rites.
Singh was injured in a group clash in his village, Sahnewal, 20 km from here, July this year. He was under treatment in the hospital and the bills kept piling up.
The officials Wednesday started negotiating with the family of the deceased, asking them to pay at least Rs.180,000 of the pending bills to take the body. They agreed that the remaining amount could be paid later.
- Unclaimed corpses dumped in septic tank! - May 17, 2011
- Mamata offers Rs.10,000 for fire victims' last rites - Dec 09, 2011
- UP to upgrade and modernise autopsy centres - Aug 26, 2012
- Aide of Namdhari sect head shot dead in Punjab - Apr 13, 2011
- Eight students among 12 killed in Haryana road accident - Apr 28, 2011
- Four of family among five killed in road accident - Jan 07, 2011
- Mamata takes charge - Dec 10, 2011
- Driven by superstition, they dig out dead woman's body - Jun 06, 2011
- Court seeks original records from army on officer's death - May 03, 2012
- Woman jumps to death from Noida flat - Jun 20, 2012
- Four of family killed in Punjab - Aug 12, 2010
- Air crash: Bodies handed over to families (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- 11 killed as truck, jeep collide in Haryana - Jun 16, 2010
- Tension continues in Chandigarh after kidnapped boy found dead - Jan 06, 2011
- Man crushed to death by bus in capital - Jan 18, 2011