Pawar meets Sonia over presidential pollApril 25th, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar Wednesday met Congress president Sonia Gandhi to evolve “consensus” on the presidential election due in July.
“We want consensus on the candidate,” NCP leader D.P. Tripathi told reporters after Pawar met Sonia, who heads the United Progressive Alliance.
Sources said the NCP’s working committee met earlier in the day and discussed the candidature of Vice President Hamid Ansari for the post, who is being considered by the Congress.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad had come out in Ansari’s support Tuesday. The Opposition BJP has decided to put up its own candidate for the election.
President Pratibha Patil’s five-year term expires in July but no date for the poll has been announced yet.
- Patience, says Congress, amid presidential suspense (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- BJP rules out backing Mukherjee in presidential polls - Apr 30, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice presidential contest - Jul 18, 2012
- Sangma pitches for tribal as president - May 04, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, alliance sources, ansari, bjp, candidature, congress president sonia gandhi, election president, janata, lalu prasad, nationalist congress party, ncp, New Delhi, president pratibha patil, presidential election, presidential poll, progressive alliance, rjd, sharad pawar, tripathi, working committee