Paul McCartney was inspiration by fatherJanuary 30th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 30 (IANS) Veteran singer Sir Paul McCartney says his father was one of the main inspirations behind the Beatles.
The 69-year-old, who gained worldwide fame alongside bandmates John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, praised his dad James, an amateur piano player, for introducing him to music.
“My first musical memories come from my dad. He would play the piano at home — he and his friend Freddie Rimmer, both of whom worked at the cotton exchange in Liverpool as salesmen. This was the old days, you know,” contactmusic.com quoted Mccartney as saying.
“We made our own entertainment because we didn’t have anything else. And those old memories for me are of my dad playing the piano. I would lie on the carpet listening to him and taking it all in,” he added.
McCartney revealed his father’s influence stayed with him as he and John Lennon began writing for the Beatles.
“A lot of what informed the writing I did with John is that early period, and John and I shared that. When we started to talk about that music, John would say ‘Oh I love such and such a song.’
“We didn’t like rock ‘n’ roll solely. And I think now if you look at the Beatles body of work it was sort of rock’n'roll informed by this back plot from this complete other era,” he further said.
- Thirty years on, he's still the real Nowhere Man (Tribute) (Dec 8 is John Lennon's death anniversary) - Dec 07, 2010
- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols to perform together at London Olympics? - Apr 25, 2011
- Beatles, iTunes deal still at impasse, says Yoko Ono - Aug 07, 2010
- Beatles' offsprings not planning boy band - Jan 12, 2010
- Remembering Lennon and his Indian connection - Oct 09, 2010
- I won't be doing London Olympics: Ringo Starr - Jul 25, 2011
- Beatles reuniting on stage, courtesy the magic of technology - Dec 02, 2010
- Yoko Ono says John Lennon would have loved Beatles Rock Band game - Aug 31, 2009
- Yoko Ono to make music for some more decades - Sep 27, 2009
- Paul McCartney all set to marry Nancy Shevell - Sep 16, 2011
- Beatles to make their songs available on iTunes - Nov 16, 2010
- I immerse myself in writing: Paul Mccartney - Sep 26, 2011
- Supergroup being formed for the 2012 Olympic - Apr 26, 2011
- Ono credits McCartney for saving her marriage - Oct 10, 2010
- Secret Beatles pictures set to go under the hammer - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: bandmates, beatles, cotton exchange, george harrison, inspirations, john lennon, london jan, musical memories, old memories, own entertainment, paul mccartney, piano player, playing the piano, rimmer, ringo starr, rock n roll, salesmen, sir paul mccartney, veteran singer, worldwide fame