Patna’s new IIT ready to start classes from ThursdayAugust 2nd, 2008 - 12:46 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 2 (IANS) It’s official now. Bihar’s dream of setting up an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) is set to become a reality Aug 6. Classes will begin from the next day. Human Resource Minister Arjun Singh is scheduled to inaugurate IIT Patna here on Aug 6. The institute will operate out of a temporary campus this year.
“The formal functioning of IIT Patna is all set to start with classes on Aug 7,” said dean of IIT Patna Samrendra Dandpat.
IIT Patna is one of the six new IITs being set up in the country.
Dandpat told IANS here Saturday that all the 109 selected students would attend classes from next week. “We will register the selected students on Aug 6 and classes will begin from next day,” he said.
Dandpat said that preparation for setting up laboratories, hostels and classrooms were in the final stage. ” IIT Patna will function from the polytechnic premises here now,” he added.
Earlier this year the state science and technology department had identified the polytechnic in Patna for setting up the IIT campus. The polytechnic has two hostels and a new building, which can accommodate around 200 students.
Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar, who had shown keen interest in setting up IIT Patna, visited the temporary premises of the institute Friday. Kumar said that IIT Patna will function from here for the next two to three years until its own building comes up.
The Bihar government has identified the a site for the campus close to the state capital here.
- Classes begin at new IIT in Patna - Aug 07, 2008
- Land acquisition for IIT-Patna to begin soon - Aug 17, 2008
- Kapil Sibal lays foundation of IIT-Patna campus - Apr 19, 2011
- IIT Patna seeks partnerships with US varsities - Aug 24, 2011
- Temporary premises of IIT-Patna hit by waterlogging - Aug 20, 2008
- IIT-Patna to start PhD programmes from July - Jun 26, 2009
- Local students protest IIT campus on their college premises - Mar 24, 2010
- Basu plans film on Bihar's 'Super 30' - Sep 18, 2012
- Less than 40 teachers in Bihar's six engineering colleges - Nov 08, 2011
- IIT exam panel behind poor student quality: Super 30 founder - Oct 05, 2011
- Coaching for 30 poor IIT aspirants in Maharashtra - Jul 03, 2012
- IIT Punjab to start working from its new campus Aug 20 - Aug 07, 2009
- Infosys likely to set up centre in Bihar - Mar 06, 2011
- Panel to probe suicides in IITs - Sep 14, 2011
- IIT, IIM faculty is not world-class, says Jairam Ramesh - May 23, 2011