Patnaik visits rail accident site, meets victims (Lead)February 14th, 2009 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 14 (IANS) Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Saturday visited the site in Jajpur district where a train accident killed at least nine people and injured over 150.
Patnaik also visited the hospital at Jajpur, about 100 km from here, and the Sriram Chandra Bhanja medical college hospital at Cuttack and met the injured.
Fourteen coaches of the Howrah-Chennai Coromandel Express derailed Friday evening near the Jajpur-Keonjhar Road railway station.
Four other coaches were badly damaged, J.P. Mishra, chief public relations officer of East Coast Railway, told IANS.
Railway Minister Lalu Prasad had earlier put the death toll at 15. But railway authorities Saturday said only nine bodies had been recovered.
Earlier, a team of railway ministry officials led by Minister of State for Railways R. Velu visited the accident site. An investigation has been ordered into the accident.
“Rescue and relief operations are still on,” Mishra added.
- Orissa rail tragedy toll revised to nine (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2009
- Probe begins into Orissa rail accident - Feb 16, 2009
- Three killed, dozens injured as train derailed in Orissa (Third Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Orissa train accident victims recount night of horror - Feb 14, 2009
- Tracks repaired at Orissa accident site, train services normal - Feb 15, 2009
- 15 killed, 100 injured as train derails in Orissa (Fourth Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Orissa train tragedy survivors arrive in Kolkata - Feb 14, 2009
- High-level inquiry to probe Coromandel Express derailment - Feb 14, 2009
- Three killed, eight injured in Orissa derailment (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik visits train mishap site - Feb 14, 2009
- 15 killed, 150 injured in Orissa train tragedy (Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Express train derailed in Orissa - Feb 13, 2009
- Three dead as Doon Express derails, Mamata hints at sabotage (Third Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Dehradun-Howrah Express derails in Uttar Pradesh - May 31, 2012
- Relatives complain lack of information on rail tragedy - Feb 14, 2009