Patnaik holds talks to mend fences in BJDJune 1st, 2012 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 1 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Friday began talks with leaders of his Biju Janata Dal (BJD) to bridge the rift that had surfaced while he was abroad, a senior party leader said.
“He has begun discussions with party leaders at his official residence. He is meeting them in small groups. This process will continue for some time,” a BJD office bearer told IANS.
Patnaik returned home from Britain Thursday evening, two days earlier than scheduled.
The tensions in the party came to the fore when Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra Tuesday held meetings with a large number of legislators at his residence.
He also openly criticised the functioning of the government and the party a day later.
Opponents saw the meeting as a move to destabilise Patnaik and have demanded action against him.
Mohapatra, who has been advisor to the chief minister for more than a decade, denied the allegations and said the legislators met him because they were unhappy with the present state of affairs in the party and the government.
Patnaik has said he would take the “right decision” after holding discussions with senior party leaders on the developments that had taken place during his absence.
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers - Jun 01, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Patnaik returns home, gets rousing welcome - May 31, 2012
- Dissident leader upset but rules out split in BJD - May 30, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- BJD intensifies protest against Polavaram project - Aug 27, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- People taking interest in presidential poll: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik to expand ministry - Aug 02, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: allegations, bhubaneswar, biju, chief minister, decade, fences, legislators, mohan, mohapatra, mp, office bearer, opponents, party leader, party leaders, pyari, rajya sabha, right decision, small groups, state of affairs, tensions