Patna court orders university staff to end strikeAugust 7th, 2008 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 7 (IANS) The Patna High Court Thursday ordered the organisation representing non-teaching staff of colleges in Bihar to end their month-long strike within 48 hours. The strike call by the Bihar State University and College Employees’ Federation has paralyzed the the higher education in the state.
“The court ordered Bihar State University and College Employees’ Federation to end the indefinite strike within two days,” official sources said.
About 33,000 non-teaching staff of nine universities and 250 colleges went on strike for indefinite period from July 1, demanding higher salaries.
The student protests over the government’s inability to end the strike continued here Thursday.
Hundreds of students staged demonstrations, took out a symbolic funeral procession of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, and some went in on fasts here.
The non-teaching staff of Patna University went on strike June 6, followed by the staff of the state universities June 25. ”The strike in Patna University is around 59 days old, but the government is yet to initiate a dialogue with the striking staff,” one of the protesting students said.
- 'Punjab colleges staff go without salaries for months' - May 15, 2012
- Punjab, Chandigarh college teachers on strike again - Dec 13, 2011
- Dhumal steps in to end St Bede's strike - Jul 17, 2012
- Student protests intensify in Bihar - Aug 06, 2008
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Bihar employees protest over non-implementation of Sixth Pay Commission recommendations - Aug 23, 2010
- Gujarat ITI staff entitled to bonus, rules high court - Jan 17, 2011
- Indefinite shutdown of ICFAI University in Tripura - Jan 31, 2012
- Angry students protest strike by Bihar's non-teaching staff - Aug 05, 2008
- Strike in India's oldest women's college - Jul 13, 2012
- Teachers' strike cripples work in Madhya Pradesh colleges - Sep 08, 2009
- Punjab, Chandigarh colleges to remain shut Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Two lakh Bihar government employees on strike - Aug 23, 2010
- Bihar to spare teachers of non-teaching assignments - Jul 01, 2012
- DUTA to go ahead with protests Thursday - Jan 11, 2012