Patil non-committal on action against SaamnaJune 20th, 2008 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, June 20 (IANS) Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister R.R. Patil was Friday non-committal on what action would be taken against Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna for advocating “Hindu terrorism” and “Hindu suicide squads” to counter “Islamic terrorism” in India. Patil, who holds the home portfolio, said the Special Branch of the police routinely scrutinised writings in the print media and sent them to the law department for advice on anything it found objectionable.
“The Saamna editorial (of Wednesday) too will undergo similar scrutiny and action will be taken in accordance with the law if anything objectionable is found in it”, he told reporters.
Patil said the aspect of freedom of the press had also to be borne in mind before proceeding in such matters.
He, however, pointed out that action had been initiated in the wake of the bomb blasts at an auditorium in Thane earlier this month and those found guilty would be dealt sternly.
Saamna had ridiculed the low intensity bomb blasts triggered by the Hindu Jan Jagruti Sanghatana and Sanatan Ashram that injured a few people assembled at Gadkari Rangayatan to watch a Marathi play. The play allegedly poked fun at Hindu deities, leading to the blasts.
- Court verdict on 2008 blasts Aug 8 (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Two convicted for 2008 Thane blasts, four let off - Aug 29, 2011
- 10 years jail for 2008 Thane blasts convicts - Aug 30, 2011
- Hindu group Sanatan Sanstha to challenge any ban - Sep 13, 2011
- Saamna flays Hindus held for Thane bomb blasts - Jun 18, 2008
- Bangalore blast accused killed in jail - Jun 08, 2012
- Ammonium nitrate used in Pune blasts: Patil (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Congress, NCP bicker in Maharashtra; Sena for central rule - Feb 01, 2012
- Chavan reviews Pune blasts probe - Aug 04, 2012
- 13/7, scribe's murder set to rock Maharashtra assembly - Jul 24, 2011
- Pune blasts: Police still to identify perpetrators, detain four (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- No hand in Goa blast: Sanatan Sanstha - Oct 19, 2009
- Mumbai targeted by terrorists nine times in 10 years - Jul 26, 2011
- On eve of Rahul Gandhi visit, Congress hits back at Shiv Sena - Feb 04, 2010