Patil holds high-level meeting on Naga issueApril 16th, 2008 - 1:04 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Home Minister Shivraj Patil Tuesday discussed how to take the dialogue forward with the Isak-Muivah faction of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) after the dominant tribal separatist group expressed dissatisfaction over the delay in solving the Naga issue. The NSCN-IM accused a section of the government of deliberately prolonging the peace process by going back on their promises and strongly suggested a more positive approach.
The rebel group has submitted a detailed charter of demands to the government, including a separate constitution for Nagaland, a ‘new and unique’ relationship with New Delhi and unification of Naga-inhabited areas of Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
However, these three states have rejected this demand. The union government too has not made any commitment on the issue so far.
Among those who attended the meeting were union Minister Oscar Fernandes, who is playing a key role in restoring peace in Nagaland, principal interlocutor K. Padmanabhiah and Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta.
The NSCN-IM agreed to a ceasefire with the government in August 1997, which has been extended several times.
Over 60 rounds of talks have been held between the government’s emissaries and the NSCN-IM both in India and abroad to discuss matters like the extension of the ceasefire, the group’s demand for unification of Naga-inhabited areas and bitter clashes between rival Naga factions.
- NSCN status sparks row in India's northeast - Nov 18, 2011
- NSCN talks in April, new interlocutor to be appointed (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- New Delhi to hold talks with NSCN-IM in April - Feb 09, 2010
- Fresh round of talks with NSCN-IM Tuesday in Nagaland - May 31, 2010
- Naga separatists, government 'narrow down' differences - Jul 18, 2011
- Peace talks between NSCN (IM) leader and Centre held - Jun 02, 2010
- Nagas take part in rally to support peace talks - Mar 03, 2010
- Naga people rally for early political solution - Mar 03, 2010
- Naga women's body agitates in Manipur - Feb 09, 2012
- Rebel Naga group ousts its chief - Jun 08, 2011
- Separatist Naga group denies links with HuJI - Aug 20, 2009
- Manipur not to allow Naga leader Muivah's visit - May 02, 2010
- No bargain on political, territorial rights of Nagas: NSCN (IM) - Mar 07, 2010
- Naga leaders meet Manmohan Singh, Chidambaram (Lead) - Mar 02, 2010
- Nagaland assembly recognizes underground movement - Nov 30, 2009