Patience key for spinners on Indian wickets: WarneOctober 9th, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Oct 9 (IANS) Shane Warne sought to ease the pressure on Cameron White, who made his debut against India Thursday, saying that spinners don’t need to take a clutch of wickets to be successful in India.Warne experienced some of his toughest days on Indian soil and was regularly punished when trying to attack.
Warne had greater success when he adopted a more defensive approach in 2004.
Leg-spinner White and off-spinner Jason Krejza are Australia’s spin option on the tour and the former got the nod for the Bangalore Test.
“As spinners over there, you have to accept you are going to go for a few more runs,” Warne was quoted as saying in Herald Sun.
“Against some sides, you can come out and take your 5-60. But if you take your three, four, five wickets, it might cost you around about 1000 runs or more in India,” Warne said.
The lack of a quality spinner has become a major issue for Australia, but Warne said that patience is the key to success in India.
“You are going to go for a few more boundaries, a few more runs. Just be patient and accept they are going to play some good shots. The grounds are fast and they are little, but in your role, you can take a few of those crucial wickets You may not dominate, but you can still play a huge role.”
- 'Pedestrian' Hauritz should not be picked for Australia again: John Benaud - Nov 18, 2010
- No more favourites, Australia begin their title defence Monday - Feb 20, 2011
- Smith wants 'bit more of a bowl' to be genuine Oz all-rounder for World Cup - Jan 27, 2011
- Krejza facing David and Goliath showdown on Indian subcontinent - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Frustrated' Ponting asks struggling Oz spinners to deliver against Pak - Mar 18, 2011
- Botha feels spinners have to attack, look for wickets - Feb 21, 2011
- Sammy eyeing fight-back in Trinidad Test - Apr 14, 2012
- India will look to seal Test series at Kensington Oval - Jun 27, 2011
- Ponting must use Krejza as team's No.1 wicket-taking spinner: Berry - Feb 13, 2011
- Gillespie warns Australia to be wary of Zimbabwe's spinners - Feb 18, 2011
- 'David Hasselhoff of cricket' Swann key to England's Ashes victory, says Warne - Nov 05, 2010
- Tasmanian Krejza still hopeful about playing Test cricket for Australia - Jan 17, 2011
- All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain - Oct 14, 2009
- Aussies may review batting order ahead of clash with Canada - Mar 15, 2011
- Sri Lankan spinners will come hard at me: Steve Smith - Mar 02, 2011