Patel on overdrive, launches upgrade projects of five airportsFebruary 20th, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel was on an overdrive Friday, flying to as many as five cities during the day to kickstart the upgrade and modernisation projects of their airports.
If 8:30 a.m. was his appointed hour in Mumbai, where a new terminal building will be constructed over 4.3 million square feet, Indore was his next halt where the minister did the honours at around 11 a.m.
Bhopal was next at the lunch hour at 1 p.m., followed by a stopover at Raipur two hours later, with the whistle-stop visits concluding at Ranchi’s Birsa Munda Airport.
All these airports are to get new integrated terminal buildings as part of the government’s ambitious project to upgrade 35 non-metro airports at a cost of Rs.105 billion (Rs.10,500 crore or a little over $2 billion).
Excluding Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, all other four airports are non-metro airports and are part of 35 non-metro airport project.
The new terminal over 4.3 million square feet will be able to handle around 40 million passengers annually and will boast of 184 check-in counters, as well as 700,000 square feet of retail space, food courts, lounges and other travel-related services.
The development of the non-metro airports by the Airports Authority of India involves building new terminal buildings and airside work that includes expansion and strengthening of runways and creating more parking space for aircraft, besides city-side development through public private partnerships.
- Minister keeps up spree of laying airport foundation stones - Feb 26, 2009
- 'Civil aviation sector up 18.5 percent in seven years' - Mar 15, 2012
- Turkish cargo handling firm to invest $100 mn in India - Feb 08, 2010
- For NRIs, India has now arrived (Comment) - Jul 18, 2010
- Helsinki Airport's new check-in and baggage facilities increase luggage capabilities by 43 percent - May 10, 2010
- Flights delayed at Delhi as T3 has blackout - Aug 07, 2011
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday - Jun 09, 2011
- PM inaugurates new international airport terminal (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Delhi's Terminal 3 set for commercial operations from Wednesday - Jul 27, 2010
- L&T; achieves financial closure for Hyderabad Metro Rail (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- New terminal in Lucknow airport inaugurated - May 19, 2012
- T-3 Terminal exemplifies India's resolve to bridge infrastructure deficit: Manmohan Singh - Jul 03, 2010
- Shillong airport's new terminal opens Saturday - Jun 22, 2011
- Domestic air traffic up 19 percent: Economic Survey - Feb 25, 2011