Pataudi’s funeral at family burial groundSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Sep 22 (IANS) The funeral of former Indian cricket captain and the last Nawab of Pataudi state, Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, will be held at the family’s burial ground at Pataudi, 26 km from Gurgaon city, Friday afternoon.
Mansur Ali Khan was the last Nawab of Pataudi state. He held the title till 1971 when the central government abolished the princely purses and privileges system.
His family still has its palace in Pataudi town, much of which has been leased out to a leading heritage resort chain which runs a hotel there. A portion of the palace has been retained by the family.
“The last rites of Mr Pataudi will take place after 2 p.m. on Friday at Pataudi town. The administration is making preparations required for the occasion. I will be representing the chief minister at the ceremony,” Gurgaon Deputy Commissioner P.C. Meena said.
The district authorities have received confirmation of the funeral ceremony and the arrival of family members from New Delhi, Gurgaon and Mumbai.
The list of VIPs and other celebrities coming for the ceremony will be known Friday morning, Meena said.
Pataudi was married to yesteryears popular film actress Sharmila Tagore.
His son, Saif Ali Khan, is a successful actor in Bollywood while his daughter Soha Ali Khan has also acted in some films.
“Pataudi Saheb made this town popular all over the world. He was a real charming man with a big heart. He was a Tiger is all fields - be it cricket or social life,” Pataudi resident Ram Singh Yadav told IANS.
- Saif annointed 10th Nawab of Pataudi - Oct 31, 2011
- Amid chaos of mourners, Pataudi laid to rest - Sep 23, 2011
- Being a nawab is huge responsibility: Saif - Nov 02, 2011
- My father would've been touched, says Saif - Sep 23, 2011
- Mike Brearley, Ted Dexter, Ian Chappell for Pataudi Memorial Lecture - Dec 28, 2011
- Sharmila's transition from actress to 'begum' - Jan 01, 2012
- Master of style Tiger Pataudi is dead - Sep 22, 2011
- 'Saif will be annointed next nawab of Pataudi' - Oct 24, 2011
- Sharmila-Pataudi made perfect couple, say designers - Sep 23, 2011
- SRK remembers Pataudi as friend's friend - Sep 23, 2011
- The prince and the showgirl - a love story ends - Sep 22, 2011
- Pataudi the man that was - Fact file - Sep 22, 2011
- Gulzar misses his Mansur, the true patriot - Sep 24, 2011
- Tiger gave Indian cricket 'rockstar' image: Big B - Sep 23, 2011
- Pakistan cricket mourns Pataudi's death - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: burial ground, charming man, chief minister, cricket captain, deputy commissioner, district authorities, family burial, film actress, funeral ceremony, heritage resort, indian cricket, last rites, meena, nawab, pataudi, ram singh, saif ali khan, sharmila tagore, soha ali khan, yadav