Passport Seva Kendra opens in GuwahatiApril 17th, 2012 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 17 (IANS) A passport service centre opened in the city Tuesday to handle the growing number of applications from the northeastern region.
The Passport Seva Kendra, set up by the Ministry of External Affairs and IT company Tata Consultancy Services, will make passport services more efficient, transparent and accessible.
The new centre would take the pressure off the Regional Passport Office (RPO) in Guwahati, which handled applications from Assam, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram, said Muktesh Pardeshi, MEA joint secretary and chief passport officer.
Tripura, the other northeastern state, is under the Kolkata RPO.
The demand for passports in the region had gone up over the years, said T.A. Changson, regional passport officer for the northeastern region. “The Guwahati RPO, set up in 1979, issued just 1,732 passports in 1980. However, in 2011, the numbers went up to 54,483. In 2010, the RPO issued 3,728 passports a month. Last year, it was 4,540 passports a month,” he said.
The new centre had a three-tier security system to stop passport frauds, he said.
It also had a call centre and offered online services for inquiries coming in from the six states, said Rajesh Dogra, TCS’s operational head. “Currently, the call centre offers services in Assamese and Manipuri. However, we are going to add more regional languages to the service,” he said.
- 16 rural passport centres proposed - Aug 21, 2012
- Court seeks government reply to Lalit Modi's plea - Jan 18, 2012
- Don't worry, passport office at ITO by mid-January - Dec 23, 2011
- Passport offices to work on weekend - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna calls for fast-tracking passport delivery - Nov 29, 2011
- Krishna opens new ITO passport office in Delhi - Feb 23, 2012
- Over half a million passport applications pending - Sep 07, 2011
- Modi's plea against passport revocation turned down - Nov 04, 2011
- Appointments for passport services in Karnataka hastened - Sep 14, 2011
- Passport offices to remain open this weekend - Jun 22, 2012
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- Weekend passport melas in 7 cities (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- 350 passports with dead official's stamp destroyed - Feb 04, 2010
- Seven booked in Punjab for forging passport documents - Jun 14, 2011
- Divorced woman moves court against passport office - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, assamese, call centre, dogra, kendra, manipur, meghalaya, ministry of external affairs, mizoram, nagaland, northeastern region, northeastern state, passport service, passport services, passports, regional languages, regional passport office, rpo, tata consultancy services