Passport office fined Rs.50,000 for delayApril 16th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday pulled up a passport office for delay in delivering the passport to an applicant and slapped a fine of Rs.50,000 on it.
The high court was hearing an appeal by the Regional Passport Office, Ghaziabad, challenging a Central Information Commission (CIC) order slapping a fine of Rs.5,000 on it.
Ajay Kumar Jain, a resident of Aligarh, had applied for his passport along with his wife and a child in 2006. He did not get the passport even after seven months and checked the status of his application on the official website which stated that his passport would be sent in the first week of April 2007.
Jain again checked the status on the website in July 2007 and he was told he had not given two specimen signatures, which he should send with attestation by a gazetted officer.
He then filed an application under the Right to Information Act in 2007, which did not reveal much details on why his passport was unnecessary delayed.
Jain then approached the CIC that directed the passport office to issue him the passport in a week and also slapped a fine of Rs.5,000 on the passport office.
The passport office challenged the order in the high court.
Justice Ravinder Bhatt Thursday held the passport office guilty of deficiency in service and of giving wrong information to the applicant, and increased the amount of fine from Rs.5,000 to Rs.50,000.
- Court slaps Rs.15,000 fine for passport delay - Nov 10, 2011
- Court stays fine imposed on Delhi airport operator - May 30, 2011
- NPCIL declines to release nuke safety report - May 26, 2012
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Passport offices to work on weekend - Jun 28, 2012
- Telugu actor's death: Court reduces sentence of convict - Dec 28, 2011
- Getting caste certificates to be easier - Aug 01, 2011
- Compensate migrant Indian worker wrongly deported: Court - May 15, 2011
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Government gets notice on information panel vacancies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- 'Soft drinks firms flouting rules by not printing ingredients' - Jul 09, 2010
- Court rejects plea against Microsoft, fines petitioner (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Court accepts Yahoo plea, fines complainant (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order on banks (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011