Passengers detain train to protest robberyMay 9th, 2008 - 4:55 pm ICT by admin
Sangli (Maharashtra), May 9 (IANS) Angry passengers held up the Jodhpur-Bangaluru Express at Miraj, near here, Friday following a daytime robbery in a crowded compartment. Eye witnesses said five robbers, armed with knives and country-made pistols, entered the train around 10 a.m. somewhere between Pune and Karad stations. They looted a few passengers of their ornaments, cash and ATM cards.
Some passengers caught the robbers but they managed to fight them off and escape.
Irate passengers held up the train to protest the railway officials’ alleged failure to check frequent thefts on the Pune-Miraj section of the route.
“While the earlier incidents of robbery have occurred at night, due to the ineptitude of the railway police the robbers were emboldened to strike during daytime,” a passenger said.
- Train robbers strike again in Andhra Pradesh - Jul 11, 2010
- Another train robbery in Bihar - Aug 21, 2010
- Heavy showers disrupt Konkan rail traffic (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Train looted in Bihar - Jul 20, 2010
- Armed men loot, assault passengers on Pune-Patna train - Mar 11, 2011
- Villagers lynch two dacoits - Jul 26, 2011
- Train passengers robbed, assaulted in Bihar - Aug 06, 2010
- Three held for robbery in Delhi-bound train - Sep 29, 2009
- Five highway robbers arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 31, 2010
- Two trains looted in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2010
- Armed robbers loot train in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 04, 2010
- Armed dacoits rob bus passengers - Mar 14, 2012
- Another train robbery in Bihar - Aug 09, 2010
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Armed men loot, assault train passengers in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010