Passenger behind hijack scare arrested, jailedFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Jitender Kumar Mohla was arrested Monday and sent to jail for 14 days, a day after his allegedly aggressive behaviour on board an Indigo flight from Goa to Delhi caused a mid-air scare and sent security agencies into a tizzy at the airport here.Delhi Police arrested Mohla, a resident of Dwarka sub-city here, under Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections 336 (endangering life or personal safety of others) and 506 (criminal intimidation) as well as under the Civil Aviation Act.
A city court sent him to judicial custody till Feb 16.
Mohla and fellow passengers Harpreet Anand and Samir Uppal were detained by the security agencies Sunday evening for their alleged aggressive actions on board.
The three passengers allegedly had a tiff with the flight crew over allotment of seats.
Their behaviour had forced the pilot of the Indigo flight 6E44 to send a hijack alert, leading to a scare and panic at the Indira Gandhi International airport here. The plane made an emergency landing and was kept in isolation for two and a half hours.
After thorough security inspection, 163 passengers and six crew members were allowed to deplane, while the three passengers were detained.
Anand and Uppal were later let off after intensive questioning.
When contacted, Mohla’s family refused to comment on Sunday’s events and the arrest.
- Passenger behind plane hijack scare arrested, jailed (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Delhi hijack drama: Unruly passenger seeks bail - Feb 05, 2009
- What led to mid-air hijack scare on IndiGo flight - Feb 02, 2009
- Bomb hoax on Kingfisher flight - Aug 30, 2011
- Indigo flight makes emergency landing at Jammu - Jun 13, 2012
- Authorities investigate 'security concern' aboard US Airways aircraft - Oct 08, 2010
- Jet Airways aborts flight after smoke in tyre - Feb 17, 2011
- Narrow escape for Goa-Delhi Indigo flight - Sep 09, 2010
- IndiGo flight passenger's hoax creates midair scare - Jul 23, 2009
- Pakistani held for aircraft hijack threat - Apr 27, 2012
- Kingfisher crude bomb case solved, accused in custody: Police - Mar 28, 2010
- Emirates plane recalled to Mumbai after threat call (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- British man attacks flight crew on UK-bound plane - May 12, 2011
- IndiGo defends itself, says passenger safety paramount (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- JetLite passengers have narrow escape at Mumbai - Apr 29, 2010