Pascal Lamy wants second term as WTO chiefNovember 5th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, Nov 5 (IANS) World Trade Organisation director-general Pascal Lamy will seek a second term in office when his current term expires in 2009, a key official told WTO members Tuesday.WTO General Council chairperson Bruce Gosper said to WTO members he had received a letter from Lamy telling him about the decision.
The Australian ambassador, who presides over the selection, had reminded members of the selection procedures at a general council meeting Oct 14. The procedure requires the incumbent to declare he is a candidate for a second term by the end of November. After that, the election is open until the end of December for additional nominations.
If there are additional candidates, they will then have three months until the end of March to “make themselves known” to members, followed by two months of a selection process, ending at the end of May.
- 'Time ripe to conclude WTO Doha Round talks' - Apr 28, 2011
- Ministerial meet may push deadlocked WTO talks: Lamy - Sep 05, 2011
- India's Pradeep Mehta on WTO panel - Apr 13, 2012
- Whole package for Doha round will not be passed: WTO chief - Mar 19, 2012
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- WTO chief Lamy to visit India next week - Sep 02, 2011
- WTO Doha Round won't conclude before 2013: Khullar - Sep 23, 2011
- WTO will fight against protectionism: Lamy - Oct 18, 2011
- India must take lead to conclude global trade talks: Pascal Lamy - Sep 11, 2011
- Doha Round's failure will weaken WTO, says Lamy - Nov 19, 2010
- Margaret Chan is sole candidate for WHO chief - Nov 22, 2011
- WTO Chief calls for international coordinated action for global financial recovery - Nov 20, 2010
- World going through stormy period: WTO chief Lamy - Sep 06, 2011
- India flexible for Doha trade deal - Oct 19, 2010
- 15 countries elected to UN Human Rights Council - May 21, 2011