Parole for accused in Naval War Room leak caseJuly 10th, 2008 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) A court here Thursday released on parole retired Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander S.L. Surve, one of the five accused in a case relating to the leak of classified information from the Naval War Room here, to enable him attend a relative’s last rites in Nagpur. Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjeev Jain allowed Surve’s plea after he approached the court for allowing him to attend rituals to be conducted after his father-in-law’s death.
The court also directed the Delhi Police to look after his security.
Besides Surve, the other accused are Ravi Shankaran, a relative of former Indian Navy chief Admiral Arun Prakash, retired naval Commander Kulbushan Parashar and sacked naval Commanders Vijender Rana and V.K. Jha. An Interpol Red Corner look-out notice has been issued against Shankaran, who has been declared a proclaimed offender.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has already filed a charge sheet against the five sacked officers.
According to the CBI, the accused had leaked out 7,000 pages of classified defence information that had a direct bearing on national security.
The case was registered by CBI March 20, 2006 on a reference from the defence ministry and after scrutiny of inquiry held by the IAF against Surve and the Board of Inquiry conducted by the Indian Navy, Parashar was arrested April 5 on his return from London. Nationwide searches were then carried out at 20 places.
The CBI claimed in its 250-page charge sheet that the accused officials allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy for obtaining and collecting information related to defence matters that was calculated to be or might be or was intended to be useful to the enemy or which related to a matter the disclosure of which, to unauthorised persons, was prejudicial to the sovereignty and integrity of India and the security of the state.
- Naval war room leak case: 2 former officers granted bail - May 11, 2012
- Navy War Room leak: London court accepts evidence (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- RTI chief seeks report on naval officer jailed for spying - Jul 16, 2008
- Chief Information Commissioner to visit Tihar Jail on RTI plea - Jul 15, 2008
- Navy chief urged to re-look denial of information to sacked officer - Aug 05, 2008
- Navy war room case: Apex court issues notice to CBI - Feb 14, 2011
- Navy war room case: Apex court issues notice to CBI (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Navy War Room leak case: Court rejects bail plea of retired naval commander - Nov 14, 2008
- Verma, wife sent to judicial custody in OSA case - Sep 14, 2012
- CBI issued notice on petition by retired naval officials (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Naval war room leak accused Shankaran arrested in London - May 20, 2010
- Verma, wife sent to 10 days CBI custody - Sep 04, 2012
- Court gives CBI papers linked to Abhishek Verma's case - Jul 17, 2012
- CBI to file chargesheet against Abhishek Verma, wife Aug 7 - Aug 01, 2012
- CBI to question Abhishek Verma, wife till Aug 21 - Aug 16, 2012