Parliamentary panel invites Aamir for inputs on medical issuesJune 18th, 2012 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) A parliamentary panel has invited actor Aamir Khan, who exposed malpractices in the medical sector on his “Satyamev Jayate” TV programme, for an interaction on the issue. He will appear Thursday morning with his team.
Rajya Sabha MP Shanta Kumar of the Bharatiya Janata Party, who heads the parliamentary standing committee on commerce, has invited the actor to share the knowldge they gained while researching the episode.
Aamir’s spokesperson confirmed to IANS that he will be there Thursday morning to interact with the panel.
Aamir, 47, lifted the veil from the malpractices in the medical profession through his maiden TV show “Satyamev Jayate” and discussed issues like doctors taking cuts and other unethical medical practices. He presented live examples of people who could have been cured with simple medicines but were advised by doctors to undergo surgeries, robbing them of precious money.
Broadcast May 27, the well-researched episode also addressed issues like overpricing of life-saving drugs.
The expose brought brickbacks and criticism from the Indian Medical Association (IMA), which wanted Aamir to apologise. But he said his conviction in the concept and aim of the show have left him fearless of negative reactions.
“Satyamev Jayate”, which marks the Bollywood’s thinking actor’s entry into the field of television, has so far discussed issues like female foeticide, child sex abuse and domestic violence.
In fact, parliament has only now passed a bill on stringent action aginst those guilt of child sex abuse.
The actor has struck the right chord with the audiences as people are watching the show with great interest. Aamir says this is his way of contributing to society by creating awareness.
- Why should Aamir apologise, asks Javed Akhtar - Jun 03, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Apologize, doctors tell Aamir Khan - May 30, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' grows more popular than Aamir! - May 14, 2012
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- Sridevi makes special appearance on Aamir's show - May 13, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir - May 08, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Aamir doing fantastic job with 'Satyamev Jayate': Ritesh Sidhwani - May 21, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' viewers support Aamir's expose' - Jun 10, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- I've not insulted medical profession: Aamir Khan (Interview) - Jun 07, 2012
- Lack of brickbats would have surprised me: Unapologetic Aamir Khan (Interview) (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, bharatiya janata party, bollywood, child sex abuse, domestic violence, indian medical association, knowldge, medical issues, medical practices, medical profession, medical sector, parliamentary panel, parliamentary standing committee, precious money, sabha, shanta kumar, stringent action, thursday morning, tv programme, veil