Parliamentarians meet in Bern, focus on global crisesOctober 17th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) Indian parliamentarians led by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will be interacting with MPs from across the world at the 125th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Bern to discuss issues ranging from global governance to climate change and non-proliferation.
The three-day assembly of the IPU opened in Bern, the capital of Switzerland, Monday with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urging states to restore the trust of their citizens in governments and institutions.
“It is a deficit of trust,” Ban told the assembly, which is also being attended by Swiss President Micheline Calmy-Rey. “People are losing trust in governments and institutions to do the right things.”
Ban also called for the world’s leading economies to join a binding climate treaty to halve planetary emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050.
Around 1,400 delegates, including legislators and speakers of parliament from 140 countries, are participating in the IPU assembly, hosted by the Swiss parliament.
Parliamentarians will be debating a host of global issues, including nuclear disarmament, recent events in the Middle East and North Africa, global governance, access to health care for women and children, and the green economy.
With the developed world still reeling from the blowback of the global recession, a panel discussion on “reform of the financial market” will also be held.
Headed by Meira Kumar, the Indian delegation comprises, among others, Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha K. Rahman Khan and MPs Uday Singh, Francisco Sardinha, Umashanker Singh and Jose K. Mani.
- Meira Kumar highlights women's role in Indian polity - Oct 18, 2011
- Look beyond national interests, Ban to G20 - Oct 18, 2011
- Meira Kumar to attend Geneva meet - Oct 03, 2010
- India, Switzerland sign MOU for cooperation in finance - Oct 04, 2011
- President to visit Switzerland, Austria - Sep 23, 2011
- Meira Kumar to attend IPU meet in Bangkok - Mar 25, 2010
- Swiss president rings Gilani over abduction (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Neutrinos on agenda during Patil's Swiss visit - Sep 29, 2011
- Men need to change to stop violence against women: Meira Kumar - Sep 16, 2011
- SAARC MPs' conference concludes with call for peace - Jul 11, 2011
- India, Switzerland ink Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement - Aug 30, 2010
- Pakistan MPs to visit India for SAARC meet - Jul 06, 2011
- President heads to Switzerland Friday, to unveil Tagore bust - Sep 28, 2011
- Patil likely to press Switzerland on black money issue - Sep 29, 2011
- Speaker calls for UN Security Council's reform - Nov 17, 2009
Tags: access to health care, ban ki moon, calmy rey, capital of switzerland, climate treaty, global crises, global governance, global recession, greenhouse gases, indian delegation, inter parliamentary union, ipu, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, nuclear disarmament, rajya sabha, swiss parliament, swiss president, uday singh, un secretary general